Calling all coffee and cookie lovers! These grain free espresso cashew butter cookies are a healthy paleo cookie recipe for you. Made with espresso cashew butter, sweetened with coconut sugar and chocolate chunks. They’re a must!
FRIENDS. My favorite cashew butter blend has made its way into paleo cookies – Espresso Cashew Butter Cookies.
*cue the oohs and aahs*
If you have no idea what I’m talking about, a little while back I made homemade Espresso Cashew Butter. For coffee lovers and nut butter addicts alike, it’s basically heaven.
And then I decided that making cookies with said nut butter would be a brilliant, beyond brilliant idea.
So here we are.
Ingredients for Espresso Cashew Butter Cookies
- Espresso Cashew Butter: More on my homemade recipe below!
- ghee or unsalted butter: Use ghee or grass-fed butter if following a paleo diet. You can also use a vegan butter if dairy-free. More notes on this in recipe card below.
- coconut sugar or brown sugar: Either will work – coconut sugar if you want unrefined or brown sugar works too.
- egg: This recipe works best with an egg, but an egg-replacer *may* work. I have not tested this though.
- vanilla extract: Always need vanilla in cookies!
- coconut flour: Just a little goes a long way here. If you can’t do coconut, try this cashew butter cookie recipe.
- baking soda
I love this homemade espresso cashew butter so much that I needed to make cookies with it. If you have a high powered blender or food processor, you should definitely make this for this paleo cookie recipe!
If you’re looking to simply purchase a jar, Abby’s Better has a a coffee almond butter, linked here.
How to make Espresso Cashew Butter Cookies
- Most of my cookie recipes call for an electric mixer, because that is how you create the best texture when combining the ingredients at a certain speed. If you don’t have one, it’s truly a worthwhile investment.
- Start by mixing the cashew butter with the butter until creamy. My cashew butter is pretty thick. If using a store-bought jar, make sure to mix in the separated oil before adding to bowl.
- Next add the egg and vanilla, combining on medium speed until combined.
- Then sprinkle in flour, baking soda and salt. You can either mix by hand or quickly mix with the electric mixer for about 10 seconds. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- The batter should be soft, almost like a traditional cookie dough. Then use a rounded tablespoon to scoop dough and gently flatten as you place on a lined baking sheet. If you have any small chocolate chunks, you can press some into the tops.
- Bake cookies just for about 7 minutes or so – You don’t want to over-bake these or they’ll get crumbly. Be sure to let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for another 2 minutes before transferring to a wire rack.
These espresso cookies are…
- soft and somewhat dense
- not too sweet
- filled with bits of dark chocolate and espresso
- perfect for coffee lovers, but not overly strong.
I actually love these cookies straight from the fridge. They’re a take on my Turmeric Cashew Butter Cookies, just slightly modified.
I hope you enjoy them as much as I do!
If you make this recipe, be sure to leave a review and comment below! I love hearing from you and it helps others learn more about the recipe too! Xx AshleyPrint
These healthy grain free Espresso Cashew Butter Cookies are the perfect paleo treat. Bursting with espresso bits and chocolate chunks, made gluten-free and dairy-free friendly.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF an line a medium baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl using hand mixer–or stand mixer with paddle attachment–mix espresso cashew butter with ghee (or unsalted butter) on medium high speed; add coconut sugar and continue mixing on high speed for about 1 minute. Add in egg and vanilla and mix again on medium-high speed until combined.
- Sprinkle the coconut flour, baking soda and salt evenly over dough. Mix on medium speed or use large spoon to fully combine. Dough should be thick and not too dry, kind of like soft traditional cookie dough. Fold in chocolate chunks.
- Using a tablespoon, scoop dough into round shape, pressing in chocolate chunks as needed. Place on baking sheet and gently flatten with palm of hand. Evenly space cookies about two inches apart. Bake for 7-9 minutes. Careful not to over-bake or cookies will dry out. Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to wire rack to cool completely.
- Cookies are a little delicate and keep best stored in fridge. I personally enjoy them chilled but they can also sit at room temperature before enjoying.
- Category: dessert
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: espresso cookies, cashew butter recipes, paleo cookie recipes