Get creative with pizza night and make this Medjool Date Apple Bacon Pizza with fontina cheese and arugula! This combo is truly delicious. Gluten-free friendly.
This post is sponsored in partnership with Natural Delights Medjool Dates. All opinions expressed, as always, are my own. Thank you for your continued support!
The other week Drew and I were out to dinner with friends. I was hardcore craving pizza. I just NEEDED pizza, you know? I think you know.
So on the menu at this restaurant they didn’t quite have pizza, but they did have flatbreads. Okay, that will have to do.
I came across one on the menu with brussels sprouts, dates, and pork. Brussels sprouts and dates on pizza? YES, please. So naturally that concoction spoke to me… But long story short the flatbread itself was mediocre at best. I won’t go into the nitty gritty but unfortunately, the flatbread just didn’t cut it. Like, at all. So basically ever since then I’ve been dreaming of a pizza that encompasses dates, but a bagillion times better.
Enter: Medjool dates – the biggest and juiciest dates around. If you’re a regular around these parts (apparently we’re doing the “old western” talk) you know that I’ve been working with Natural Delights for several months now. I absolutely LOVE their Medjool dates. And even before we officially started partnering together, their Medjool dates were a pantry staple of mine. They have the best soft and chewy texture. I love them as an energy-boosting snack with cashew butter, in ball recipes, smoothies, and now PIZZA.
So back to the pizza… We’re also adding honeycrisp apples because it’s fall y’all. (Moving into a sourthern accent now.)
AND BACON. Have you tried bacon and Medjool dates together yet? Because the combo is epic. We had bacon wrapped dates as one of our wedding reception appetizers and they were an absolute hit. I totally get it if that combo sounds strange to you at first, but just promise me you’ll give it a shot! The sweet, chewy Medjool dates pairs oh so well with the crispy, salty bacon.
OH, and fontina cheese. Because fancy cheese + apples + bacon + Medjool dates = heaven. Please say you’re on board now!
Okay last thing, ARUGULA and pumpkin seeds. 🙂 Because sometimes adding greens to pizza can make you feel better about life.
I went for a homemade whole wheat crust here, as this one from Eating Well is pretty fool-proof! I also used it for this pizza. You can likely sub a gluten-free 1:1 baking flour, or there is also the option to use your favorite store-bought dough. But the one here doesn’t take long at all. You can prep the dough first and then start prepping your other toppings: cooked bacon, thinly sliced apples, and chopped Medjool dates.
After loading the rolled out pizza dough with the toppings and fontina cheese, you’ll just bake for about 10-12 minutes until the cheese has fully melted.
And then of course we top with pumpkin seeds and arugula for a little added color and texture.
I so actually love fresh greens on pizza. Anyone else?
So are you ready to get creative and change up your next pizza night or what?!
Let me know if you try this pizza recipe!
- 6 Medjool dates, pitted and chopped
- 1 small crisp apple, thinly sliced (I used honeycrisp)
- 4 slices cooked bacon, chopped
- 8oz fontina cheese, shredded
- cornmeal for dusting pizza crust (optional)
- 12oz pizza dough (I used this recipe)
- pumpkin seeds for topping
- arugula for topping
- Make pizza dough according to recipe instructions. Or use pre-made dough.
- Preheat oven to 400ºF. Lay parchment paper on baking sheet dusting with cornmeal (if using). Or use pizza stone.
- Roll out pizza dough on flat surface before carefully transferring to prepared pan.
- Start layering on thinly sliced apples, cooked/chopped bacon pieces, and chopped Medjool dates, reserving a few for the top layer.
- Sprinkle on cheese until pizza is covered. Top with remaining apples, bacon and Medjool dates.
- Bake pizza in preheated oven for 12-15 minutes, or until cheese has fully melted.
- Remove from oven and top with pumpkin seeds and arugula.
- Allow pizza to rest for 5-10 minutes before slicing and serving. Enjoy!
Store leftovers in airtight container in fridge, 1-2 days.
- Serving Size: 1/6th
- Calories: 340
- Sugar: 9g
- Sodium: 409mg
- Fat: 15g
- Saturated Fat: 8g
- Unsaturated Fat: 5g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 34g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 17g
- Cholesterol: 49mg