I’m incredibly honored to be a Tillamook Ambassador this year, and this post is sponsored in partnership with Tillamook. As always, all thoughts and opinions expressed are my own. Thank you for supporting the brands that help Fit Mitten Kitchen bring you new content!
We’re approaching the middle of summer and I couldn’t be more excited! Give me all of the boat rides, trips to the beach and long days spent reapplying sunscreen.
Here in Michigan we’re lucky enough to have tons of inland lakes where we can make a quick day trip and enjoy the outdoors.
Drew and I recently took some friends out on our boat to a nearby lake and naturally, I was in charge of the food.
When it comes to preparing for a day out on the boat, Drew is in charge of all of the boat-related duties, and I make sure we don’t go hungry.
I also making sure we’ve got some healthier, lighter options packed.
Because feeling stuffed and groggy after eating too much in the hot sun is not a fun way to spend an afternoon.
Best Foods to Pack for a Day Trip
Whether you’re heading out to the lake, the ocean, spending the day on a boat, or simply packing a picnic lunch, here are some of my healthy packed lunch essentials:
Healthy Wrap Recipes
Wraps are quick and easy to make, plus they store well.
Obviously, we’re using Tillamook Cheese here because it’s THE BEST.
If you haven’t tried Tillamook cheese yet, do yourselves a favor and run to the grocery store ASAP. I’ve linked to their store locator function below!
I opted for a different cheese variety for each wrap so everyone could choose their favorite, but of course you can stick with just 1-2 options.
We just really love all kinds of cheese around here, okay?
- Ham with Tillamook Smoked Black Pepper White Cheddar Slices, tomato, hummus, mustard and spring mix greens.
- Black Pepper Turkey with Tillamook Muenster Slices, mayo, bacon, avocado, tomato and spring mix greens. (AKA California Turkey Wrap – full recipe below!)
- Hummus with Tillamook Pepper Jack Slices, chipotle mayo, red bell pepper, cucumber, avocado, broccoli sprouts and spring mix greens.
- Roasted Chicken with Tillamook Swiss Slices, chipotle mayo, bacon, tomato and spring mix greens.
TIP: If you have eaters with special dietary needs or requests, make sure to get their “order” before heading to the grocery store so everyone has something they will enjoy.
Watermelon is obviously a summer staple. Cut into strips for easy mess-free eating down to the rind.
Blueberries are nice too because you just have to rinse them and put them in a container – no extra cutting involved or food waste.
I also love using reusable silicone storage bags, as they pack easy and don’t take up a ton of room.
Baby carrots and hummus are always a great packed snack option. Grape tomatoes and celery would be another good addition.
Cheese & Crackers
Tillamook makes these adorable little snack portions – perfect for traveling. The Smoked Black Pepper White Cheddar are my personal favorite, but be sure to use their store locator to see what cheese variety you can find at your local grocer.
Cookies are a great option for a lunch outing because they pack easy, are (for the most part) mess-free, and who doesn’t love cookies?!
If you know anything about Mr. FMK, he’s guaranteed to ask, “So do we have any treats around here?” Doesn’t matter where we are or what time of day.
Also don’t forget:
- Water – Make sure you have plenty of water packed to stay hydrated.
- Paper Towel – Just in case there are any messes to clean up.
- Small garbage bag – Don’t litter 🙂
I’m also sharing more on my favorite wrap below!
How to Make a California Turkey Wrap
The California turkey wrap is one of my favorites – it has (in my opinion) the best combination of flavors and textures. I like to use a peppered turkey breast for some added flavor, and creamy Tillamook Farmstyle Thick Cut Muenster Sliced Cheese.
Tillamook sliced cheese is a must here, giving you pre-sliced portions that lay perfectly in a wrap. Plus, if you’re looking to grill the wrap or use Tillamook sliced cheese on burgers, their farmstyle thick cut melts well and keeps its flavor without melting into nothing.
First lay out the wrap and spread on a thin layer of mayo (or as much as you’d like). Then add lettuce (large butter lettuce leaves work well here, or spinach works well too) about 2-3 slices of turkey breast, Tillamook Muenster Slices, tomato, bacon and avocado.
Carefully fold in the sides while rolling and turning the ends in at the same time.
Slice wraps in half and store in airtight container or foil until ready to eat.
TIP: If your wrap is a little stuffed, secure with a toothpick.
If you make this recipe, be sure to leave a comment and review on the blog! I love hearing from you and it helps others learn more about the recipe, too! XX Ashley
- 4 flour tortilla wraps (spinach, vegetable, whole wheat, etc.)
- Your choice of mayonnaise
- 4 cups of your choice of lettuce
- 8 ounces deli turkey meat
- 4 slices Tillamook Farmstyle Thick Cut Muenster Sliced Cheese
- 8 small slices of tomato
- 8 slices cooked bacon
- 1 medium avocado, pitted and sliced
- Lay out wraps and spread on a thin layer of mayo (or as much as you’d like). Then add lettuce (large butter lettuce leaves work well here, or spinach) about 2-3 slices of turkey breast, Tillamook Muenster Slices, tomato, bacon and avocado.
- Carefully fold in the sides while rolling and turning the ends in at the same time.
- Slice wraps in half and store in airtight container or foil until ready to eat.
- Serving Size: 1 wrap
- Calories: 468
- Sugar: 15
- Sodium: 1372
- Fat: 36
- Saturated Fat: 16
- Unsaturated Fat: 9
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 32
- Fiber: 3
- Protein: 31
- Cholesterol: 70