Veggies in our cookies? Heck to the yes. These Healthy Breakfast Zucchini Cookies are perfect for meal prep, vegan-friendly, oil-free and gluten-free.
I’d like to give a big ole hug to whoever decided they wanted to bake with veggies – specifically ZUCCHINI.
This vegetable can do no wrong.
How are there so many ways to use zucchini? It barely makes sense in my brain.
But it’s best not to overthink these things… just let zucchini happen so these zucchini cookies can also happen.
Healthy Breakfast Zucchini Cookies
Oh yes we are going there. I mean, what’s better than cookies for breakfast? Especially when they’re healthy and filled with nutritious ingredients AND help keep you full – thank you oats, fiber, healthy fats and protein.
What you need
- rolled oats
- quick oats
- plant protein (see notes)
- hemp hearts
- chia seeds
- favorite nut or seed butter
- applesauce or mashed banana
- honey or brown rice syrup
And guys, this recipe is really quite simple. Everything is mixed by hand – no fussing with electric mixers or crazy kitchen tools. They take 10 minutes in the oven and ready to be devoured shortly thereafter. Once they cool, of course.
Let’s talk about the ingredients:
- OATS – using rolled for texture and quick to help bind things together – yes you need both.
- HEMP HEARTS – a little extra nutritious boost and a good source of healthy fats and protein
- CHIA SEEDS – help act as a binder but you could probably do without if you’d like.
- APPLESAUCE OR MASHED BANANA – keeps these bad boys oil-free.
- NUT OR SEED BUTTER – use your favorite. Peanut butter, cashew, almond or sunbutter.
- HONEY – or brown rice syrup if strictly vegan. Maple syrup could work too but texture may turn out slightly different.
- ZUCCHINI – obviously.
That’s basically it my friends.
Wholesome, nutritious ingredients coming together for a healthy breakfast cookies.
And if you’re feeling like a little extra treat, I 100% agree with your decision to add mini chocolate chips. Just sayin’.
Let me know if you make this recipe by commenting here on the blog! Hope you enjoy 🙂
Healthy Zucchini Breakfast Cookies are a great addition to breakfast or make for a perfect healthy snack. Vegan, gluten-free, oil-free and nut-free friendly (just use sunbutter if needed! Quick and easy recipe.
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 3/4 cup quick oats
- 1/2 cup plant-based protein powder (see notes)
- 1/4 cup hemp hearts
- 1 TBS chia seeds
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 cup applesauce or mashed banana
- 1/3 cup creamy nut or seed butter (cashew, almond, sunbutter, etc.)
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup shredded zucchini, water squeezed out
- Preheat oven to 350ºF and line large baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
- In large bowl mix together oats, protein powder (if using), hemp hearts, chia seeds, cinnamon and pinch of salt.
- In medium bowl mix together applesauce, nut or seed butter, honey and vanilla. Add into bowl of dry ingredients along with shredded zucchini; mix with large spoon or sturdy spatula until well combined.
- Using medium cookie scoop or 1/4 cup, scoop dough into ball then shape into flat circle with hands, about 1/2″ thick; place evenly on baking sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes. Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to wire rack to cool completely.
Keywords: breakfast cookies, healthy zucchini recipes, oil free cookies