These BBQ Jackfruit Sandwiches are amazingly flavorful, even meat eaters will enjoy this BBQ jackfruit recipe. I love these with vegan coleslaw and some avocado slices. This is a must-try recipe!
Why You’ll Love ‘Em
If you’re looking for a plant based alternative to pulled pork, then these BBQ vegan jackfruit sandwiches are going to be your BFF.
- Easy to make (and quick)
- Vegan friendly using your favorite vegan barbecue sauce (I found one from Whole Foods.)
- Enjoyed by both vegan eaters and meat eaters!
- Makes for a great meal prep recipe, because the leftovers reheat so well.
What Does BBQ Jackfruit Taste Like?
Canned young jackfruit is relatively plain on its own, but really takes on the flavor of whatever spices or sauce you’re cooking with it.
The texture is often compared to pulled or shredded meat, without the chewiness, making this fruit a great plant based alternative to some traditional dishes where you’d usually find meat.
How to Prepare Jackfruit
Rinse the canned jackfruit well then pat dry.
Slice away the cores – the really tough ends.
Shred / Pull Apart
Use your fingers to shred the jackfruit into little pieces – it will look a little bit like shredded meat.
NOTE: You’ll notice there are little bean-like pods when shredding the jackfruit. You can keep those pieces and cook them, or if you prefer you can toss them. They are edible, it might just depend on your texture preference.
BBQ Jackfruit Recipe
Once you’ve prepared the jackfruit, these next couple of steps are simple.
- Add the pulled jackfruit to a skillet with some oil and barbecue spices – let that cook for a few minutes.
- Add your favorite barbecue sauce, a little water to thin out, then simmer for about 25 minutes.
That’s it! So easy, full of barbecue flavor and the texture of the pulled jackfruit truly does resemble pulled pork.
Even Mr. FMK – who is a huge fan of meat and pulled pork – said these jackfruit sandwiches are pretty damn good.
WINNER, WINNER, JACKFRUIT DINNER.
How do You Eat BBQ Jackfruit?
If you’re a sandwich lover, then enjoying BBQ jackfruit sandwiches is a no brainer. Top with coleslaw and some avocado slices and these are next level good.
You can also do a BBQ jackfruit power bowl, serving it up with some quinoa, greens, maybe some diced sweet potato, avocado and coleslaw.
How how about BBQ tacos? Use this recipe as inspiration, subbing in the BBQ jackfruit for pulled pork. I also have a jackfruit tacos recipe.
Same idea with these lettuce wraps!
Or how about stuffed sweet potatoes?!
Seriously, the options are endless.
Easy Vegan Coleslaw
If you’re making sandwiches, I can’t recommend this vegan coleslaw enough. I like to use a store-bought “power” blend that has carrots, cabbage, kale and brussels sprouts.
- Cashews, in boiling water
- lemon juice
- salt & pepper
- maple syrup
- dijon mustard
- apple cider vinegar
All of these ingredients get blended together (the NutriBullet is perfect for this) then poured over the coleslaw mix.
Quick and easy!
BBQ Jackfruit holds up well for leftovers – which means this recipe works well for meal prep! Just store in the fridge in a covered container, enjoy within 4-5 days.
Let me know if you make this recipe by leaving a comment and rating below! It helps others learn more about the recipe too! Xx AshleyPrint
BBQ Jackfruit Sandwiches
These BBQ Jackfruit Sandwiches are amazingly flavorful, even meat eaters will enjoy this plant based jackfruit pulled pork style recipe. I love these with vegan coleslaw, our favorite buns, some avocado and a side of sweet potato fries.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Entree
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegan
- 2 (14 ounce) cans young jackfruit
- vegan BBQ sauce (I used Kansas City style from Whole Foods)
- 2 cups power greens coleslaw blend (I used this)
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 1/4 cup boiled water
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 Tbsp dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp salt, to taste
- buns (vegan or gluten free, as needed)
- avocado slices
- Prepare jackfruit: strain, rinse and pat dry the canned jackfruit. Remove the cores and begin shredding the soft centers (you can keep the pod-like centers if they’re small or discard large ones). Once all shredded, pat dry again.
- Add shredded jackfruit into skillet, sprinkle on seasoning plus salt and pepper. Stir to coat and cook over medium heat for 3-4 minutes. Add in 2/3 cup barbecue sauce, stir to coat, then add in 1/2 cup water stirring until evenly mixed. Bring mixture to a simmer and continue cooking for 2o minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, make the vegan coleslaw: Add cashews and boiled water to a small bowl; let sit for 5 minutes. In a blender cup add garlic clove, lemon juice, salt, coconut aminos, maple syrup, and boiled cashews (plus water). Blend until creamy and smooth, then pour over coleslaw blend mix.
- Once the BBQ jackfruit has simmered, you’re ready to assemble your sandwiches. Topped with coleslaw and avocado is my favorite way to enjoy these, but the BBQ jackfruit recipe works in tacos, stuffed sweet potatoes or power bowls too.
- Store any leftovers in fridge, enjoy in 4-5 days.
Keywords: jackfruit pulled pork, bbq jackfruit, vegan bbq
Rate this Recipe