A healthy Summer Berry Trifle with layers of fresh berries, angel food cake and whipped topping. Easy to assemble in less than 30 minutes, and a dazzling make ahead dessert recipe for all your summer parties! Gluten free and dairy free friendly.
This post is sponsored by California Giant Berry Farms. As always, all thoughts and opinions are my own. Thank you for supporting the brands that help Fit Mitten Kitchen bring you new recipes!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Prep is minimal thanks to shortcuts from the grocery store!
- Gorgeous, show-stopping and crowd pleasing!
- The ultimate make ahead as the summer berry trifle gets better the next day.
- A lightened up dessert everyone will love.
Unlike a traditional English trifle that requires you to make the pudding or custard from scratch, this easy berry trifle recipe takes some help from the grocery store. It’s quick, healthy and allows the vibrant fresh berries to shine. We will need:
- fresh strawberries – you will need two clamshells worth of fresh strawberries. Blackberries or raspberries are a great option to use in their place, or try a mix of berries.
- fresh blueberries – two pints of fresh blueberries add color and pops of sweetness. Tips on selecting the very best berries below!
- angel food cake – angel food cake is light and airy and soaks up the juicy berries and whipped topping. You could also try store-bought pound cake, sponge cake or even crisp lady fingers (Savoiardi biscuits). For a gluten free version, opt for a gluten free angel food cake box mix or your favorite gluten-free cake alternative. You could double the recipe for this gluten-free pound cake if looking for something homemade.
- whipped topping – I used coconut whipped topping, but regular cool whip will also work. If you prefer homemade whipped cream, whip heavy cream to stiff peaks while sweetening slightly with powdered sugar.
- vanilla Greek yogurt – vanilla Greek yogurt keeps it healthy while still adding some tang. Replace it with your favorite dairy-free yogurt to keep this recipe free from dairy.
- lemon zest – a final touch of lemon zest adds color and pop. You could even try layering in some lemon curd along with the fresh berries to add more lemon flavor.
Find the full recipe with measurements in the recipe card below, at the end of this post.
Equipment You Will Need:
- Trifle Bowl
- Mixing Bowl
For a classic trifle recipe, you will need a 3-qt footed glass bowl. If you don’t own a trifle bowl, feel free to use a large glass bowl or punch bowl. For individual trifles, use a set of small glass bowls, mason jars or dessert shooters.
How to Select Strawberries and Blueberries at the Store
Strawberries and blueberries are in peak season during the summer months, which means lots of berry sales at the store!. When shopping for fresh berries at the grocery store, make sure to look for:
- Strawberries: Bright green caps, natural shine, bright red color (skip the berries with white tops) and plump, pleasant size.
- Blueberries: Even dark blue color, dry exterior with a slight frost (called bloom) and plump, smooth skin.
How to Make Berry Trifle
Rather than having to make a vanilla pudding mixture from scratch, this beautiful trifle comes together in only 25 minutes! Here’s how to do it:
Prep Fruit, Cake and Cream
Prepare fruit by first washing and drying. Then, cut the strawberries in slices, cut angel food cake into 1-inch cubes and make sure whipped topping is thawed before beginning.
Make Yogurt Mixture
In a medium mixing bowl, combine the whipped topping with Greek yogurt. This can be done by hand or on medium speed with an electric hand mixer or stand mixer to make it even more light and fluffy.
Assemble Fruit Trifle
In a classic trifle bowl, start by adding in a layer of cubed angel food cake into the bottom of a trifle dish.
Next, carefully arrange the blueberries and strawberries in one single layer.
Spoon on a layer of the yogurt mixture and spread across the top of the berries into one even layer.
Then, alternate layers of angel food cake, berries and more whipped topping mixture. Continue adding in layers until you end with a layer of whipped topping mixture. Decorate the top with more berries and lemon zest, if desired.
Cover with plastic wrap. Chill trifle bowl in fridge for at least 4 hours, or until ready to serve.
How to Make Ahead & Store
This delicious dessert actually benefits from a good chill in the fridge. To make it ahead and store the rest for later, simply:
- Make Ahead: The fruit trifle dessert can be made 1 day ahead. Wrap tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Storage: Leftover berry trifle will keep, covered in the fridge, for up to 4 days. Keep in mind, the angel food cake will become very soft on days 3 and 4.
Everyone loves a delicious berry trifle and this one is a gorgeous rendition! Serve it up throughout warm weather months and special occasions, such as:
- Patriotic Holidays: The colors of summer fruit just sing Memorial Day, Independence Day and Labor Day weekend!
- Celebrations: With so many things to celebrate during the spring and summer – graduations, weddings, baby showers – this one serves a crowd!
- BBQs, Potlucks and Picnics: Keep it casual and bring it to all your outdoor parties. Keep covered and stored in the fridge if going to a house party, or cart it in a large cooler with some ice if planning to spend the day outdoors.
More Summer Berry Recipes You’ll Love:
If you make this Summer Trifle recipe, be sure to leave a comment and star rating on the blog! I love hearing from you, and it helps others learn more about the recipe too. Xx AshleyPrint
Summer Berry Trifle
A healthy Summer Berry Trifle recipe with layers of fresh berries, angel food cake and whipped topping. Easy to assemble in less than 30 minutes, and a dazzling make ahead dessert recipe for all your summer parties! The perfect lightened up dessert and easy to make gluten free and dairy free friendly.
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 4+ hours chilling
- Total Time: 25 minutes, plus 4+ hours chilling time
- Yield: 8–10 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Fridge
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegetarian
- 2 pounds fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 2 pints fresh blueberries
- Angel food cake (see notes)
- 9 ounces whipped topping (I used coconut whipped topping)
- 3 cups vanilla Greek yogurt (see notes)
- Lemon zest, optional
- Prep ingredients: Prepare fruit, cut angel food cake into cubes and make sure whipped topping is thawed before beginning.
- Make yogurt mixture: In a medium-large bowl, combine the whipped topping with Greek yogurt and set aside.
- Assemble trifle: In a classic trifle bowl, start by adding in a layer of cubed angel food cake on the bottom of the bowl. Next carefully arrange the blueberries and strawberries in a single layer. Spoon on a layer of the whipped topping-yogurt mixture and spread evenly. Then repeat by adding in another layer of angel food cake, berries, more whipped topping mixture and continue adding in layers until you end with a layer of whipped topping mixture and decorate the top with more berries and lemon zest (if you’d like). You should get 3-4 layers total. Chill trifle bowl in fridge until ready to serve.
SPECIAL EQUIPMENT – Trifle Bowl
ANGEL FOOD CAKE ALTERNATIVES: Try store bought pound cake, sponge cake or Savoiardi biscuits (ladyfingers).
GLUTEN FREE – Options to make gluten-free using a gluten-free angel food cake mix or another gluten-free cake you like.
DAIRY FREE – Dairy-free alternative using your favorite dairy-free yogurt.
MAKE AHEAD – Dessert can be made 1 day ahead – wrap and refrigerate until ready to serve.
STORAGE – Leftovers will keep covered in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Keywords: summer trifle, berry trifle recipe, fruit trifle dessert