This holiday season, we want to make sure we’re supporting BIPOC and women owned businesses. We’ve compiled a list of amazing businesses that are local to Michigan and ship around the country.
Something that’s important here at Fit Mitten Kitchen is supporting BIPOC and women owned businesses. This holiday season we want to make sure they are getting even more love and support!
We reached out to the FMK Instagram community so we could include a variety of locally owned businesses around the country, including those that ship!
There’s something for everyone in this list: coffee, homemade bags and jewelry, gym memberships, yoga, facials, salons, books, plants, and so much more!
BIPOC-Owned Businesses Across the Country
While, of course, we should always be supporting BICOP business, the last few years has given us the chance to rethink how we shop and put these businesses in the front of our minds. The holiday season is the perfect time to give these small businesses our support. From retail shopping, plants, foodie gifts, books, home decor and more. Be sure to check out the shops below.
- Détroit is the New Black. – a brand that sells apparel and more, as well as an event space and rotating art gallery to provide space for the creative arts community.
- Stay Rooted – an online shop, rooted in Lansing, Michigan, that offers houseplants and handmade plant accessories.
- Socialight Society – a local Lansing bookshop + creative community, celebrating black women and black literature.
- Urblends – creates custom blends of loose leaf tea to inspire others to relax, unplug, and indulge in a self care moment each day.
- Wyld Frontier Designs – sisters who create uniquely beautiful original art, prints & useful goods.
- Debbie Carlos Studio – creates fine art & editorial photography, curatorial projects, ceramics, jewelry, accessories.
- We Are LIT! – independent bookshop offering new, multicultural books across all genres. We Are LIT is building a culture around books in West Michigan!
- Salt Yoga – grab a punch card to support a loved one in practicing some self love through meditation or the practice of yoga.
- Trade Street Jam Co. – is a chef, woman and minority-owned and certified business that makes spoonable low sugar jams for cooking, baking, cocktails + more. It’s also vegan!
- Wasi Clothing – is a Bolivian-American Brown Latina business that is not only sustainable but it’s also an ethical business that is all about fair and equal wage for everyone.
- Diaspora Co. – is growing a better spice trade, equitably and deliciously. They have some really unique spice and gift options for the home chef in your life!
- The Funny Momma – grab the funny momma in your life a sign, mug, slippers, or more adorable merch!
Michigan Small Businesses
If you’re local to Mid-Michigan or shopping for friends and family who live in the greater Lansing area, these small businesses are just a selection of the amazing local brands and companies you can support. They are integral parts of our community and families that are so grateful for the support with every purchase that is made.
Some of these businesses are local shops, gyms or provide services with brick and mortar locations, as well shipping products around the country.
- Foster Coffee Co. (Owosso + Lansing) – Fosters is the perfect place to send coffee to a loved one from or to give a gift card for a future coffee date together. Use code FITMITTENCOFFEE onlin to gets you 15% off a bag of coffee!
- Aviator Jayne – grab some home goods or unique gifts. They also have lots of vintage finds too!
- Michigan Center for Holistic Medicine ( Lansing & Grand Rapids) – This is one of my favorite places to go for holistic spa services like facial or acupuncture!
- Yoga Connect (Lansing) – grab a punch card or gift card to help your special person find some relaxation and mindfulness.
- Sparrow Bloom Co. (Lansing) – grab a flower subscription or other gifts to fight the winter blues!
- Holiday Lansing Parlor (Lansing) – a gift card to get some pampering at this urban oasis sounds like perfection! They offer so many amazing services.
- FLEXcity Fitness (Lansing) – a gift card or 10 pack of my favorite, interval training that makes exercise efficient and effective is perfect to change up your workout routine.
- Constellation Cat Cafe (East Lansing) – a gift card to hangout with cats and drink some delicious cafe beverage sounds like a super fun gift! Plus you get to support rescue kitties.
- Mother & Earth Baby Boutique (Lansing) – shop their handpicked selection of strollers, car seats, baby gear, and our kid-tested and approved toys. They specialize in natural, sustainable and practical products.
- Michigan Barnwood (Mason) – has reclaimed barn wood of all colors and dimensions. It also features salvaged items such as doors, windows, barrels, galvanized metal and more!
- Bad Annie’s (Lansing) – Some people say vulgarity is no substitute for wit. They thoroughly enjoy both and carry clever books, gifts, clothing and accessories.
- Deadtime Stories (Lansing) – sells books about monsters, both real and imagined. The first of its kind, Deadtime Stories is a book and gift shop dedicated to true crime.
- October Moon (Lansing) – pride themselves on providing amazing treats, customer service, and gift wrapping. You can find all sorts unique of home decor and small gifts!
- Vintage Junkies (Lansing) – their showroom features handpicked vintage pieces mixed in with some Local Art and Indie Artisan made gifts and a handful of vintage clothing trends.
Gift Ideas Shipped Around the Country
We’ve compiled a list of some of our favorite small businesses that ship around the country, so be sure to check them out for unique gift ideas this season! Many of these people we know and when you support them it is truly felt and celebrated with every purchase.
- The Minted Grove – offers witty, beautiful, and unique doormats at an affordable price to greet every front door guest with a smile. There is something for everyone!
- Dear Ollie – an illustration and lettering studio that creates gifts you actually want to give. They have cards, stickers, mugs, and more!
- Blooming Botanicals Hemp – grab a gift set or monthly subscription of cbd products to empower holistic healing
- Held Ceramics – get handmade home goods from planters for the plant lover to kitchen items to the foodie, and so much more!
- Sherwood Forest Creations – has amazing embroidery kits, PDF patterns, and ready to ship hoops that all make the perfect gift!
- Just Follow Your Art – a collective of paper goods + gifts for good humans. Inspired by real life experiences and everyday moments, we specialize in creative lettering and human connection.
- Michigan Imagery – offers custom wood and metal signs as well as lots of great signs ready to be gifted in their shop!
- Studio Astrsk – hand-poured 100% natural soy wax sculptural candles
- Clean Refillery– is here to be a springboard to help people live an eco friendly life. Some great gift options and gift cards available.
- Kaitlyn Rose – abstract painter who has lots of great canvas and print options for gift giving!
- Commune + Rebel – a homegrown, modern gift shop whose products come from all over the world and are meant to inspire, challenge, cheer up, and change the conversation.
- Detroit Rose – handcrafted candles and skincare inspired by more you time – we’re all about creating space to slow down, celebrate our present, and take pleasure in our wellbeing.
- Jean Jean Vintage – has the most beautiful rare antique jewelry and contemporary must-haves.
- Jessie Blume Bags – unique or custom, handmade pieces from our crossbody bags shops.
- Shop Grammar – studio based, ceramic jewelry line, inspired by the need to slow down the apparel industry. GRAMMAR provides customers with distinctive, timeless, lightweight pieces that are intended to be worn often, becoming wardrobe staples for years to come.
- Search Party – a vintage project curated with home goods and other thoughtful gifts.
- Applewood Candle Co. – Hand-poured, artisan candles made in small batches using 100% soy wax, crackling wooden wicks and fragrances free of phthalates and parabens, for a more pure candle!
- Blue Bridge Games – grab a new fun game for your next game night! They have tons of options and you can contact them if you don’t see what you’re looking for,
- Fox Naturals – a modern apothecary that locally crafts botanical skin & hair care products that are vegan, organic, & cruelty free.
- Woosah – is a naturally inspired art and apparel brand based out of Grand Rapids, Michigan that features artwork inspired by the outdoors. They offer art, apparel, accessories, travel gear, and home + lifestyle options that make great gifts!
- Ampersand Lettering Lab – is an online shop that offers hand-lettering workshops, stickers, pins, apparel, and more.
- Bryanna Manning Art – artwork that is inspired by the waves and coast of Lake Michigan.
- Green Roof Gallery – leather accessories that are perfect for those who love neutral colors & a natural style. They have handmade earrings, journals, necklaces, bracelets, and more.
- Archd – create handmade and small batch goods that empower women and celebrate cities. They have coasters, mugs, bookends, ornaments, and so much more in their shop!
- Lady Wood Goods – creates amazing handmade wood signs and decor inspired by Michigan, but there is something for everyone! She offers ornaments, signs, cutting boards, and more.
Shop local and get creative this season with gifts! There are so many amazing businesses out there to support. Truly, we should always be doing this, but I think each year we learn more and more just how important it is to support small businesses during this time!