An easy Vegan Slow Cooker Chili with Quinoa and Enchilada sauce is thick, hearty, and delicious. It’s packed with tons of vegetables, spices, and good-for-you quinoa (which happens to be gluten-free, too)! You won’t miss the meat in this comforting vegetarian meal.
This post is sponsored in partnership with NOW Foods. All opinions expressed (as always) are my own. Thank you for helping support the brands I trust and have the pleasure of working with, making Fit Mitten Kitchen possible!
I’ve been making different versions of this vegan slow cooker chili with enchilada sauce for the past couple of years, and I thought it was about time I share one of my go-to slow cooker meals with you.
But first, story time: I contemplated for quite a while whether or not to put this recipe up on the blog. Why? Because there are so many quinoa chili recipes out there I thought “Is it really necessary to post another?” … Well, funny enough Davida shared not only her same thoughts on the matter but also a quinoa chili recipe! So even though I already had this recipe prepared by the time I read Davida’s post, it just solidified the fact that I was meant to share it with you all along, don’t you think? Funny how life works…
Vegan Slow Cooker Chili with Quinoa
But for REAL, I love this slow cooker enchilada quinoa chili. I actually have this particular recipe to thank for introducing me to a sweet potato and black bean chili in the first place, which eventually morphed into what we have here today.
Ingredients for Vegan Enchilada Quinoa Chili
- sweet potatoes
- bell pepper
- canned black beans
- canned diced tomatoes
- frozen corn
- minced garlic
- chili powder
- enchilada sauce
- avocado, cilantro, nutritional yeast, tortilla chips, etc. – for topping!
How To Make Vegan Slow Cooker Chili
- Prep your homemade enchilada sauce (more on that below) and vegetables.
- In the bowl of your slow cooker, add sweet potatoes, bell pepper, onion, black beans, tomatoes with juice, corn and garlic. Add chili powder, cumin, paprika and salt. Stir to combine.
- Add quinoa, enchilada sauce, water and lime. Stir all ingredients together until evenly distributed.
- Cook vegan slow cooker chili on HIGH for 3-4 hours, or until sweet potatoes are soft. Serve in large bowls with toppings of choice!
Note: This vegan crockpot recipe makes a hefty batch and will serve a large crowd. We froze about half of it, since it is just Drew and I, and we enjoyed the (unfrozen) leftovers all week!
Homemade Enchilada Sauce
Oh yeah… I always make my own enchilada sauce too because:
- It’s REALLY easy.
- It’s CHEAPER than buying it.
- You control the FLAVOR and ingredients.
All you need for the enchilada sauce is a little bit of flour, oil, tomato paste, chili powder, cayenne, cumin, garlic powder, salt, pepper and water. Basically everything you already have on hand in your pantry and you’ve got enchilada sauce in under 10 minutes. You can make the sauce while you prep the veggies 😉
Note: You will need to double the enchilada sauce to make 4 cups for the slow cooker vegan chili recipe. For gluten-free, make sure to use gluten-free all-purpose flour.
How To Store
The vegan slow cooker chili recipe will keep best stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 1 week.
For longer storage, store in your airtight container in the freezer for up to 3 months.
More Slow Cooker Chili Recipes You’ll Love:
- Butternut Squash and Bean Turkey Chili [Instant Pot and Slow Cooker]
- Vegan Sweet Potato Black Bean Pumpkin Chili
If you make this Vegan Slow Cooker Chili with Quinoa recipe, be sure to leave a comment and review on the blog! I love hearing from you, and it helps others learn more about the recipe too! Xx Ashley
- 4 cups chopped sweet potato, about 3 medium
- 1 large bell pepper, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 15oz cans low sodium black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 15oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed slightly
- 1 TBS minced garlic
- 1 TBS chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp salt, to taste
- 1 cup quinoa, uncooked
- 4 cups enchilada sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- juice of 1 lime
- avocado, cilantro, nutritional yeast, tortilla chips, etc.
- Have your enchilada sauce and veggies prepped.
- In slow cooker, add sweet potatoes, bell pepper, onion, black beans, diced tomatoes with juice, corn and garlic. Sprinkle in seasonings and stir until ingredients are combined.
- Add in quinoa, enchilada sauce, water, and lime. Stir together until ingredients are evenly dispersed in slow cooker.
- Cook chili on HIGH for 3-4 hours, or until sweet potatoes are soft. Serve in bowls and add on favorite toppings. Enjoy!
*Use enchilada sauce link and follow instructions, but double to make 4 cups. I also subbed in avocado oil and an all-purpose gluten-free flour.
Chili should serve about 12-16 medium-small bowls as written. Store leftovers in fridge up to one week, or transfer to airtight container and store in freezer, up to 3 months.
Nutrition information approximate, based on 12 servings.
- Serving Size: 1/12
- Calories: 237
- Sugar: 5
- Sodium: 319
- Fat: 7
- Saturated Fat: 1
- Unsaturated Fat: 5
- Carbohydrates: 38
- Fiber: 7
- Protein: 8
- Cholesterol: 0