Your childhood favorite peanut butter & jelly sandwich just turned into a delicious healthy breakfast parfait! Using a 10-minute strawberry chia seed jam and 3-ingredient peanut butter granola and your choice of yogurt, you will love this great meal prep breakfast!
This post is sponsored in partnership with California Giant Berry Farms. I am honored to be a CalGiant Berry Ambassador for the third year, and I thank you for continuing to support the brands that help Fit Mitten Kitchen bring you new recipes!
Yes, you read that right. PB & J just got a fancy breakfast makeover.
Except it’s really not that fancy…
Parfaits *look* fancy but in reality it’s just the beautiful layers that give off that pretentious vibe. When you break down the layers, you’ll see it’s a combination of healthy, whole food ingredients that were (IMO) simply made for each other.
- yogurt (pick your favorite)
- homemade strawberry chia seed jam (more on that below)
- 3-ingredient peanut butter granola (including this easy recipe too!)
Truth be told, I didn’t like peanut butter and jelly growing up. My picky 5 year old self did NOT like the idea of jelly slipping out of my peanut butter sandwich. So I only ate plain peanut butter sandwiches growing up.
But I’ve learned a thing or two since then and now I am all about that fruity, peanut buttery combination.
And you can’t make Pb & J without some jelly… Or in this case, strawberry chia seed jam.
How to Make Strawberry Chia Seed Jam in 10 minutes
We’re using California Giant strawberries to whip up this super simple strawberry chia seed jam. And I promise, it’s easy.
All you do for the jam is:
- Warm up 2 cups of strawberries in a saucepan over medium heat. Allow the strawberries to cook down for about 5 minutes, or until you can see the juices release and mixture start to bubble.
- Use a potato masher (or equivalent) to mash the strawberries down. Add in lemon juice and chia seeds,then stir.
- Remove the pan from heat, transfer to glass jar to set and thicken.
That’s it! A simple sugar-free strawberry chia seed jam.
I love being able to work with strawberries year-round thanks to California Giant. In June I visited their farms in Watsonville, CA for the first time (read more here!) and it was such an awesome experience. California Giant truly cares so much about their growers and workers, AND they love giving back to their communities.
Speaking of communities, California Giant is hosting a super fun sweepstakes for “Back-to-School”. If you’re a college student or know one, encourage them to enter here! They could win $1000 in school-themed prizes or a $500 Amazon gift card!
3-Ingredient Peanut Butter Granola
Now for the granola – another super simple recipe.
All you need is peanut butter, rolled oats (plus quick oats), and maple syrup. You don’t even need any oil in this recipe. And if using my method you’ll get beautiful, big chunks of granola every time!
This homemade peanut butter granola is definitely my new favorite easy recipe.
Making the PB & J Breakfast Parfaits
Now for the third and final step: assemble the parfaits!
I opted for multiple layers here: start with yogurt, add jam then granola – repeat. Top with peanut butter before closing the jars.
Whether you’re in back-to-school mode or just looking to change up breakfast at the office, these PB & J parfaits are perfect for taking on-the-go.
Notes about the this Peanut Butter & Jelly Breakfast
If preparing these breakfast parfaits ahead of time, I would try and make the granola and chia seed jam at the same time. They can be prepped a couple of days in advance – the whole process should only take you about 45 minutes, including cooling time.
If you’re looking to assemble and make the parfaits in advance, try to use within 3 days for best flavor and texture.
If you just need something quick to take out the door with you, skip the layering technique and add the amount of yogurt you want into the bottom of a jar, add chia seed jam, granola and top with a little extra peanut butter and fresh strawberries.
Make them dairy-free and vegan by choosing your favorite yogurt.
Keep them gluten-free by using certified gluten-free oats.
If you make this recipe, be sure to leave a comment and review here on the blog! I love hearing from you, and it helps others learn more about the recipe too. Xx Ashley
Strawberry Chia Seed Jam
- 2 cups fresh strawberries, hulled
- 1 TBSP freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 TBSP chia seeds
- optional added sweetener, such as 1/2 TBSP maple syrup (to taste)
Peanut Butter Granola
- 3 1/4 cups rolled oats, divided*
- 1/3 cup + 2 TBSP all-natural peanut butter
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
PB & J Breakfast Parfaits
- homemade strawberry chia seed jam
- peanut butter granola
- yogurt of choice (about 3 cups total)
- peanut butter
Make the Peanut Butter Granola:
- Preheat oven to 325ºF and line 9×13 cake pan or quarter sheet pan with parchment paper; set aside.
- In a large bowl combine peanut butter and maple syrup. If peanut butter is tough to stir, warm in microwave-safe bowl for in about 20 second increments. Add in rolled oats and quick oats, stirring until thoroughly combined. Use hands as necessary to make sure oats are fully coated. Spread onto prepared sheet and press flat.
- Bake for 15 minutes then remove pan from oven to flip. Using large flat spatula, carefully flip the granola. Do not stir or you’ll lose the chunks! Press the granola back down into the pan and continue baking granola for another 10 minutes, until slightly golden, then remove from oven and allow granola to cool on pan. The granola crisps as it cools. Then you can break into clusters.
Make the Strawberry Chia Seed Jam:
- In a medium pot over medium-high heat, add hulled strawberries and cook down for about 5 minutes, or until the natural juices release and mixture starts to bubble slightly. Mash with potato masher or wooden spoon into desired consistency. Then stir in lemon juice and chia seeds. Remove pan from heat to cool and transfer to jar. Jam will thicken as it cools. Jar can be stored in fridge up to 1 week.
Assemble the PB & J parfaits:
- Line up six 7-8oz jars (I used these weck jars). To layer parfaits add about 3 tablespoons of yogurt, then 2 tablespoons chia seed jam and layer of granola. Repeat this process until jar is full – drizzle with peanut butter before closing jar (if you’d like!).
- Alternatively, you could also put all of the yogurt at the bottom of the jar, a thin layer of peanut butter, strawberry chia seed jam next, then top with granola.
- Seal jars tightly and store in fridge until ready to use. Best enjoyed within 1-3 days.
*You can also use 2 cups of rolled oats plus 1 cup of quick oats, if you have both varieties on hand.
Use your choice of yogurt for a dairy-free / vegan option.
Chia seed jam adapted from Gimme Some Oven.
- Serving Size: 6
- Calories: 355
- Sugar: 22
- Sodium: 94
- Fat: 10
- Saturated Fat: 2
- Unsaturated Fat: 3
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 58
- Fiber: 8
- Protein: 12
- Cholesterol: 3