So there was this one time I was out buying chocolate for these cookies and I accidentally bought the wrong chocolate bar. It’s funny because I picked up a caramel chocolate bar thinking “Oh maybe I’ll use this instead….” and then I thought “No, just stick with the original recipe.” I tend to over-analyze/over-complicate many things in life. So I go to put it back and pick up the salted almond chocolate bar…
Or so I thought. Wouldn’t you know I got home and as I was unloading the groceries out came a caramel bar instead of the one I actually thought I bought. Total accident. But it was like the universe was trying to tell me I needed that caramel bar for something else coming…
Oatmeal Caramel Chocolate Chip Giant Cookie
So this giant cookie happened. And it’s pretty epic.
Now I’ve got a couple other giant cookies happening here on FMK, but I first made a version of this particular giant cookie over on The Big Man’s World–featuring white chocolate and raspberries. The cookie base was SO good, I HAD to make another version for you guys.
The texture is thick but not too dense, slightly chewy and crisp edges. And compared to my original giant vegan/GF cookie, this one requires no dough chilling!
what you need
- rolled oats
- gluten-free flour blend
- baking soda
- coconut sugar
- nut butter
- chocolate caramel square
- mini chocolate chips
You can use whatever nut butter you have on hand, I used a drippier peanut butter. But I’m betting it would be great with almond, cashew, or even sunbutter!
First things first you make a flax “egg”. This recipe is 1 tsp of milled flaxseed with 1 TBS water. Once that has set and formed a gel, whisk together all of the wet ingredients until thoroughly combined. Then add in oats, flour and baking soda. Stir again until almost combined then toss in the mini chocolate chips. Once you form your ball of dough into a thick, round circle you can top with a broken caramel square.
As I am looking at the picture above I’m surprised the dough even made it into the oven…
But of course it had to. And the end result was deeeeelicious. The other night I made this cookie for Drew and I, but next time I am going to have to double the recipe. Because, as you know…. Mr. FMK is AKA The Cookie Monster.
So while I love making a giant cookie because they’re super quick… someone else in the house doesn’t like it because then he only gets about 2/3 😀 and no way to go back for more.
- 2 tsp flaxseed meal + 1 TBS water, sit for 3 minutes
- 2 TBS coconut sugar
- 1 TBS natural nut or seed butter
- 1 TBS oil (avocado, liquid coconut, sunflower)
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup gluten-free rolled oats
- 2 1/2 TBS gluten-free all-purpose flour* (I used Bob’s Red Mill)
- 1/8 tsp baking soda
- dash of salt
- 1 TBS mini chocolate chips
- 1 chocolate caramel square
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a small baking sheet with a cut piece of parchment paper, set aside.
- In a small bowl combine flaxseed + water, set aside for 2-3 minutes.
- In a medium bowl whisk together coconut sugar, nut or seed butter, oil and vanilla until well combined. Add in flaxseed mixture once that has set, stir until evenly combined.
- Add rolled oats, flour, baking soda, and dash of salt. Use spoon or spatula to combine, then gently fold in chocolate chips. Dough will be slightly sticky, shape into thick circle and place on lined baking sheet. Break apart caramel square and gently press caramel pieces into top of shaped dough.
- Bake cookie for 12-15 minutes, until edges are lightly browned. Allow cookie to cool on baking sheet for preferably 10-15 minutes, to allow the dough to set and make sure the cookie holds its shape.
- Now after you’ve waited so patiently, enjoy!
*all-purpose flour or whole wheat white flour may be subbed if not gluten-free
The cookie base itself is vegan-friendly, so feel free to use your favorite vegan/dairy-free chocolate chips if you’d like!
Nutrition info approximately based on 2 (large) servings.
- Serving Size: 1/2
- Calories: 473
- Sugar: 21g
- Sodium: 197
- Fat: 30g
- Saturated Fat: 7g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 49g
- Fiber: 5g
- Protein: 10g
- Cholesterol: 5
But seriously, I really think you guys are going to enjoy this cookie. I hope you give it a try!