A quinoa lentil salad bursting with flavor and texture thanks to red pepper, carrots, scallions and feta. Tossed in a maple balsamic dressing for a crowd pleasing salad. Gluten free and vegetarian.
This Salad is SO Flavorful!
This salad was inspired by a recipe from a farmer’s market in Pennsylvania and I’ve been hooked ever since!
A simple quinoa lentil salad, made with the little french green lentils.
I’ve made this recipe several times for barbecues and dinner gatherings, and it has never disappointed!
The combination of ingredients comes together for a mix of textures and flavors that is so satisfying.
- french green lentils, red quinoa and white quinoa – I really recommend french green lentils as they hold their shape a bit better. For the quinoa, you can also cook a tri-blend.
- carrots, red bell pepper and scallions – thinly sliced carrots, diced bell pepper and scallions offer a variety of texture and flavor.
- feta cheese – love the saltiness it adds to this salad and works well with the balsamic maple dressing.
- sea salt & thyme – for some additional flavor.
Maple Balsamic Dressing
This dressing is so delicious and really makes this salad come to life!
Here’s what you need:
- balsamic vinegar
- maple syrup
- extra virgin olive oil
- fresh garlic
How To Make
This quinoa lentil salad is really quite simple and comes together so easily.
cook quinoa and lentils together
Put rinsed lentils, quinoa, thyme, and salt in large pot with 1 1/3 cups of water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for about 20 minutes (until water has gone). Drain any excess water and let cool.
prep vegetables and feta
In a large bowl combine grated carrot, diced red pepper, and chopped scallions. Set aside.
make the dressing
Combine juice of one lemon, garlic, maple syrup, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and salt – whisk well or use blender.
Let your quinoa and lentils cool, toss everything together in a bowl, chill in the fridge and you’re done!
Easy to Meal Prep
This salad is even great to make the night before, because the flavors of the dressing get a chance to seep into all the pockets of quinoa and veggies.
How to Serve
This lentil salad is great as a side dish for cookouts, meal prep salad for lunch, and works great as a dip served with pita chips too.
This quinoa lentil salad serves 6 as a decent sized side, with 13 grams of fat, 24 grams of carbs, and 12 grams of plant-based PROTEIN (thanks to the lentils and quinoa).
More Gluten Free Salads for Meal Prep
If you make this recipe, be sure to leave a comment and review below! It is a huge help to hear from you and it also helps others learn more about the recipe too!Print
Maple Balsamic Quinoa Lentil Salad
A delicious combination of flavors and textures happening in this Maple Balsamic Quinoa Lentil Salad. Cook the quinoa and lentils together, prep the vegetables, toss with a homemade balsamic dressing and enjoy as as side dish or with chips for dipping. Delicious, gluten free and vegetarian.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 35 mins
- Yield: 6 1x
- Category: Salad
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Gluten Free
For the salad:
- 2/3 cup uncooked french green lentils, rinsed
- 1/3 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed
- 1/3 cup uncooked red quinoa, rinsed
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 large carrot, peeled and grated (or 1 cup bagged shredded carrots)
- 1 large red bell pepper, diced
- 1 bunch of scallions, green and white parts chopped
- 6 oz feta cheese, crumbled
For the dressing:
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 3 tsp minced garlic
- 1 TBS pure maple syrup
- 3 TBS extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Put rinsed lentils, quinoa, thyme, and salt in large pot with 1 1/3 cups of water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for about 20 minutes (until water has gone). Drain any excess water and let cool.
- In a large bowl combine grated carrot, diced red pepper, and chopped scallions. Set aside.
- Combine juice of one lemon, garlic, maple syrup, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and salt – whisk well or use blender.
- Add the cooled quinoa and lentils to the bowl of vegetables, add dressing and toss to coat. Fold in your crumbled feta.
- Let chill in fridge for 30 minutes until ready to serve. Serve as side salad or with chips for dipping.
Using either all red or all white quinoa is fine. The red quinoa tends to hold it’s shape better for cold salads like this one, but I like the mix of white in there as well.
1 cup or pre-packaged shredded carrots works just fine, but I prefer the freshly grated whole carrots as they aren’t as dry.
This salad is great to make ahead, as the flavors of the dressing will settle in overnight in the fridge.
- Serving Size: 1/6
- Calories: 221
- Sugar: 8
- Sodium: 461
- Fat: 14
- Saturated Fat: 5
- Unsaturated Fat: 7
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 24
- Fiber: 4
- Protein: 12
- Cholesterol: 25
Keywords: lentil salad recipe, quinoa salad, balsamic dressing recipe
Rate this Recipe