Super simple with just 6 main ingredients, this Kale and Feta Egg Bake is perfect for serving a crowd. Vegetarian, gluten free and low carb!
This post was originally published in December 2015. Photos and post have been updated April 2020, but same delicious recipe!
A simple casserole recipe perfect for a variety of occasions. Whether you’re looking for a breakfast that will serve a crowd, planning a holiday brunch or just want a healthy breakfast for the week, this kale & feta egg bake is perfect.
I love this recipe and it’s been way too long since I’ve made it! I can’t believe it’s been 4.5 years since this recipe first made an appearance on FMK.
But here we are again, just as delicious as I remember!
We re-did the photos of the recipe but it’s the same deliciousness from many moons ago!
Super Easy Kale Feta Egg Bake
You can’t go wrong with a good egg bake. And this one is ready in less than an hour!
Ingredients for the Egg Bake
- kale – fear not the kale! Kale is such a great addition to eggs. Make sure to remove the rough stems before adding to pan.
- onion & garlic – adds flavor! But if you need to, you can omit.
- olive oil – for sauteing
- egg whites and whole eggs – we’re using a mix to lighten things up a bit.
- ricotta – this helps cream the egg bake creamy and adds additional protein.
- feta – feta is my favorite and it adds a salty deliciousness to this egg bake. If you don’t like feta, I’d recommend a sharp white cheddar cheese, cut into small cubes.
- spices & seasonings – all-purpose seasoning, salt and pepper, red pepper flakes
Why use kale?
I like the way kale holds up in comparison to spinach. It might be a personal preference but I often opt for kale in egg casserole dishes.
Not to mention the loads of nutrients you get from kale like, Vitamin A, K, B6, manganese, calcium, copper, potassium, and magnesium.
Can I add other veggies?
Yes! I would recommend adding small chopped veggies, something like diced bell peppers. You can toss those in the skillet with the kale and onions, or even add into the baking dish uncooked, which will give them more of a bite after being baked.
How to Make this Quick & Easy Recipe
cook the kale
Start by cooking the chopped kale down with onion and garlic in a large skillet over medium heat– this will take about 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, preheat the oven and grease the baking pan, or use cooking spray.
whisk the eggs
You can also whisk together the eggs, ricotta and seasonings now.
Once the kale is ready, add half of it to the bottom of your baking dish. Gently pour the egg mixture into the dish and top with the remaining kale and sprinkle on feta.
bake for 40 minutes
Bake for 20 minutes uncovered, then loosely cover with foil and bake for another 15-25 minutes. Edges will be golden and middle should be set when done. Allow pan to cool 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
This kale feta egg bake is perfect for serving a crowd, but I know many readers love this for meal prep too! If you don’t mind reheated eggs, then this works perfectly.
If you make this recipe, be sure to leave a comment and review below! It helps others learn more about the recipe too. Xx AshleyPrint
Kale and Feta Egg Bake
A super simple healthy casserole with just 6 main ingredients, this Kale and Feta Egg Bake is perfect for serving a crowd. Vegetarian, gluten free and low carb!
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 40 mins
- Total Time: 55 mins
- Yield: 12 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: oven
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegetarian
- 3 cups kale, chopped
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 TBS olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups liquid egg whites
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup ricotta (I used part skim)
- 1/2 TBS all-purpose seasoning (salt-free)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
- 6 oz feta, chopped/crumbled
- Preheat oven to 350ºF, and grease a 9×13 baking dish with butter or oil; set aside.
- In a large frying pan add chopped kale, chopped onion, garlic and olive oil. Cook on medium heat until kale is cooked down and onions are translucent, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together liquid egg whites, whole eggs, ricotta, and all dry seasoning and spices.
- Add half the kale to the bottom of baking dish, evenly spread out .Gently pour in your egg mixture. Top with rest of kale, and sprinkle chopped/crumbled feta evenly throughout pan. Gently press kale and feta into egg mixture.
- Bake for 20 minutes uncovered, then loosely cover with foil and bake for another 15-25 minutes. Edges will be golden and middle should be set when done. Allow pan to cool 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
Feel free to add about 1 1/2 – 2 cups diced bell pepper. You can cook in skillet with kale and onion or add to egg mixture prior to baking.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 129
- Sugar: 1
- Sodium: 279
- Fat: 7
- Saturated Fat: 3
- Unsaturated Fat: 3
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 40
- Fiber: 1
- Protein: 10
- Cholesterol: 77
Keywords: egg bake, egg casserole with kale
Like this recipe? Pin it for later.
NOTE: This post contains Amazon affiliate links. Please see my disclaimer page for more information.
photos by: Erin Alvarez.