These Salted Caramel Thumbprint Cookies are the perfect little treat to add to your holiday cookie tray. Plus they’re even gluten-free, grain-free, and paleo-friendly!
YOU GUYS. I am so so sooo excited for today’s post. BECAUSE today I’m teaming up with some of my favorite blogging gals to bring you some superb recipes for your holiday cookie exchange. You all know how much I love cookies (yes you can love cookies and still be a #fitfoodie) so I was pretty pumped about this! Everything the girls made looks AHmazing. Can’t even.
Let’s check them OUT >>>
GINGERDOODLES from IN IT 4 THE LONG RUN
Spicy, sweet gingerbread meets chewy cinnamon snickerdoodles in these delectable bite-sized holiday cookies covered in coconut sugar.
GLUTEN-FREE PEANUT BUTTER BLOSSOMS from RACHLMANSFIELD
Dreamy peanut butter cup blossoms filled with dark chocolate peanut butter cups, creamy PB and made with all gluten free and organic ingredients. Ready in less than 15 minutes!
RED VELVET WHOOPIE PIES from THE BLISSFUL BALANCE
Soft, pillowy cookies sandwich a sweet and creamy cream cheese icing dipped in festive sprinkles making for an all-in-one delectable bite.
TOFFEE ALMOND BUTTER CUPS from THE ALMOND EATER
Ooey gooey chocolate cups filled with toffee AND almond butter. These Toffee Almond Butter Cups require just 8 ingredients, 30 minutes and they’re vegan-friendly, too.
CRANBERRY BLISS BARS from THE BALANCED BERRY
Your classic cranberry bliss bar got a gluten free makeover! Grain-free shortbread is loaded with cranberries and white chocolate chips then covered with cream cheese frosting, dried cranberries and a generous drizzle of white chocolate.
Oh em geeeee you guys how good do all of these look?! When I was telling my husband I was super excited for the cookie exchange today he was under the impression that we would be physically exchanging cookies and he would then get to try all of them. He was rather annoyed when I told him that was not the case.
He did get try these though! Cute, bite-sized, grain-free thumbprints with salted caramel centers and chocolate drizzle, these cookies are the perfect treat for your paleo peeps.
And I couldn’t resist dressing them up with a little chocolate…
Grain-Free Salted Caramel Thumbprint Cookies + holiday cookie exchange
Cute, bite-sized, grain-free thumbprints with salted caramel centers and chocolate drizzle, these cookies are the perfect treat for your paleo peeps.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 8 mins
- Total Time: 23 mins
- Yield: 24–28 1x
- Category: cookies
- 2 cups almond meal (blanched almond flour will also work)
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp pink salt
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, softened (or unsalted butter)
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature*
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- Healthier salted caramel sauce
- Chocolate Topping
- 3 TBS dairy-free chocolate
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper, set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine almond meal, coconut flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer, or in a stand mixer using the paddle attachment, cream together coconut oil and sugar until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add in your egg and extracts and beat until egg is evenly combined.
- Add in your flour mixture and beat (or stir using large rubber spatula) until dough forms. Dough will be slightly sticky, so let rest for 5-10 minutes for coconut flour to absorb moisture.
- Using a 1/2 TBS, scoop dough and roll into balls. Place on cookie sheet, about 2″ apart. Using your thumb, gently make an indent in dough. Dough will crack slightly, you can reshape gently or leave as is.
- Bake cookies for 7-8 minutes. Upon taking out of oven, gently re-press indent with thumb. Allow cookies to cool for 2 minutes on cookie sheet.
- Using about a 1/4 tsp, fill thumbprints with caramel sauce*.
- While the caramel sets in the cookies, melt your chocolate chips and coconut oil together in microwave, about 20 seconds. Using a spoon or knife, gently drizzle chocolate on cookies in zigzag pattern. Allow chocolate to set, about 15 minutes (or speed up process in fridge), before transferring to container.
*To make completely dairy-free, use all coconut oil in the Healthier Salted Caramel Sauce
* I prepared my caramel the day before, so it was stored in the fridge. It made it easier to scoop into the thumbprints. Alternatively I am sure store-bought would work.
*Egg should be at room temperature so it evenly distributes with coconut oil.
-Cookies can be stored at room temperature up to 5 days fresh, or kept in fridge up to 10 days fresh. Cookies may also be kept in airtight container in freezer, well wrapped, up to 3 months. Thaw at room temperature.
- Serving Size: 1/24th
- Calories: 116
- Sugar: 4
- Sodium: 65
- Fat: 9
- Saturated Fat: 4
- Unsaturated Fat: 0
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 6
- Fiber: 2
- Protein: 3
- Cholesterol: 8mg
So basically your holiday cookie plate is going to blow away the competition with all these goodies. I mean, for realz.
Facebook: Fit Mitten Kitchen
Pinterest: [Ashley] Fit Mitten Kitchen