If you love rainbow sprinkles you will love this Funfetti Quick Bread! It’s an easy recipe for a healthy birthday cake bread. Gluten free and dairy free friendly, made with almond flour and filled with sprinkles!
Does funfetti cake remind you of childhood birthday parties, or what?! It was always fun to see the cake being cut into and all of those colors of sprinkles inside.
What’s great about this recipe is you can use it for a variety of holidays and occassions – just change out the color of sprinkles depending on what you’re celebrating!
Quick Bread Ingredients
- super fine almond flour – make sure to use the kind that is made from blanched almonds.
- tapioca flour – to help keep a soft texture for the loaf and works to hold some of the almond flour together better.
- baking soda and baking powder – using both leavening agents will give you the correct rise for this quick bread recipe. If you must leave out the baking powder, your bread may fall more in the middle.
- eggs – using eggs helps to create lift and structure for the bread.
- oil – I used avocado for its neutral flavor, but you can also use a light olive oil as well.
- milk & vinegar – use a little bit of milk to help thin the batter and the vinegar creates a homemade buttermilk. I use apple cider vinegar or lemon juice.
- maple syrup – for natural sweetness. You can also use honey, but the bread will brown more.
- rainbow jimmies – the type of sprinkles used here are called “jimmies”. You can use any color sprinkles you’d like, but jimmies will bake best inside the bread.
- vanilla extract & almond extract – the combination of the two will give this bread it’s “cake batter” like flavor.
- fine sea salt – make sure you use either fine sea salt or coarse kosher salt.
Make sure to use sprinkles called jimmie sprinkles. I’ve also tested this recipe with naturally colored rainbow sprinkles. While it will work, the colors don’t hold as well once baked. The colorful sprinkles I used in this recipe can be found here, which are very bright and baked well inside the bread. I’ve also used these natural ones, which are also pretty, but you won’t see the colors inside the bread as much.
How to Make Funfetti Bread
First make sure all of your ingredients are laid out with measuring cups and spoons nearby, preheat the oven and you’ll also want to line a medium loaf pan (8×4) with parchment paper (for easy removal). The batter comes together in a matter of minutes with a whisk and a wooden spoon or rubber spatula, but feel free to use a hand mixer if you prefer.
NOTE: A 9×5-inch loaf pan will work if that’s all you have on hand. The bread won’t get as high and will take slightly less time to bake. Watch baking time after 35-40 minutes
Mix Dry Ingredients
In a medium bowl combine the flour with the tapioca flour, baking soda, baking powder and fine sea salt.
Mix Wet Ingredients
In a large bowl whisk together the oil with the maple syrup and eggs, slowly whisk together the milk, vinegar, vanilla and almond extract.
Add the flour mixture into the bowl of wet ingredients and then add 1/3 cup of the sprinkles until just combined.
Add the batter into your prepared pan, smoothing out the top of the bread batter (add some extra sprinkles here for presentation if you’d like) and bake uncovered for 30 minutes, then cover with aluminum foil and continue baking for another 15-20 minutes. Check the bread at the 45 minute mark, but if needed, continue baking the bread uncovered for another 5-10 minutes. Check the middle of the loaf by inserting a toothpick into the center. If the toothpick comes out with no wet batter, it’s done. The top should be nice and golden as well.
Let the loaf pan rest on a wire rack to cool for a good 15 minutes before lifting the parchment paper and cooling completely.
Adding a Glaze
If you’d like to add a light glaze icing for the top of the loaf, combine confectioner’s sugar with a little heavy cream + vanilla extract for a vanilla glaze, or use lemon juice for a sweet tang.
TIP: for easy clean up, put a piece of parchment paper on a baking sheet, placed under the cooling rack the bread is on. Then zigzag your glaze over and the drippings will catch on the
Ways to Serve
- With vanilla ice cream
- On it’s own as a sweet bread snack
- As a healthy birthday cake – don’t forget the candles!
ALMOND FLOUR – This recipe was not tested with another flour (i.e. all purpose flour) therefore I cannot recommend good substitutes. For best results please stick with Super Fine Almond Flour.
TAPIOCA FLOUR – I have similar quick bread recipes that have been tested using 1:1 gluten-free baking flour in place of tapioca flour, if you don’t need this bread to be grain-free. Feel free to sub ¼ cup 1:1 gluten-free baking flour, or 2.5 tablespoons coconut flour should also work, though texture won’t be as soft and smooth.
SWEETENER – This bread was only tested with maple syrup, but honey should also work in its place. I have not tested this bread using granulated sugar. Because the maple syrup affects the dry-to-wet ratio, I wouldn’t replace it unless you are comfortable experimenting.
EGGS – I have not tested this bread without eggs. They provide a lot of structure to this bread so I don’t recommend substituting them.
This bread will keep at room temperature in an airtight container, best enjoyed within 3-4 days. You can store in the fridge for a couple extra days as needed.
If you make this funfetti bread recipe, be sure to leave a comment and star rating below! I love hearing from you and it helps others learn more about the recipe too. XX AshleyPrint
Funfetti Quick Bread
If you love rainbow sprinkles and birthday cake flavored recipes, you will love this Funfetti Quick Bread. It’s an easy recipe that is naturally gluten-free and dairy-free, thanks to almond flour and avocado oil. Soft, pound cake texture and absolutely delicious!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 mintues
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 10 slices 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Gluten Free
- 2 ¾ cups Super Fine Almond Flour (from blanched almonds)
- 1/3 cup tapioca flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup avocado oil
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 3 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons milk of choice
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar or lemon juice
- 1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/3 cup sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 350ºF and line 8×4 medium loaf pan with parchment paper or grease well with oil; set aside.
- Mix dry ingredients: In medium bowl combine almond flour, tapioca flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt; set aside.
- Mix wet ingredients: In large bowl whisk together oil, maple syrup, eggs, milk, vinegar and vanilla and almond extracts.
- Combine: Add bowl of dry ingredients into the bowl of wet ingredients, then fold in sprinkles until combined.
- Bake: Pour batter into prepared loaf pan and bake for 40-50 minutes, covering with foil at 30 minutes, then taking foil off for last 5 minutes of bake time. Bake until inserted toothpick in center comes out clean (no wet batter, crumbs are okay.)
- Cool: Allow bread to cool in pan for 15 minutes, then gently remove by grabbing parchment paper edges and resting on cooling rack. Slice and enjoy!
Rate this Recipe