Never enough snack options, never enough energy ball flavors… These Cherry Chocolate Chip Energy Balls will be your new favorite!
Energy balls are by far one of my most favorite snacks to make for traveling, road-tripping and meal prepping.
They’re something you can easily make weeks ahead of time because they freeze well, and most of the time they don’t really need to be kept refrigerated so that is always a nice option.
As we get into “back-to-school” mode, they make a great healthy lunchbox treat too!
Cherry Chocolate Chip Energy Balls
One can never have enough energy bars and balls so I thought it wouldn’t hurt to bring you a classic flavor combo in energy ball form.
CHERRY CHOCOLATE CHIP.
The tartness from the cherries coupled with chocolate chips? Count me in.
Easy Energy Ball Ingredients
- rolled oats
- chia seeds
- dried cherries
- mini chocolate chips
- natural nut or seed butter
- raw honey
Feel free to use sunbutter to keep nut free, and brown rice syrup instead of honey for vegan friendly.
Easy Recipe – One Bowl
So we’re talking ingredients you likely have in your pantry and no food processor needed! This recipe can be mixed in one bowl and takes about 30 minutes to make once it’s all said and done.
The longest task here is rolling the balls, which I find to be quite therapeutic actually. Turn on some summer jams, get your scooper out (I use a round 1/2 tablespoon) and get to rolling.
Storing Energy Balls
Once all of your cherry chocolate chip energy balls are rolled out, I like to keep them in one layer on a lined baking sheet and place in the freezer for about 20 minutes. After they’ve been chilling in the freezer, they’ll stack easier in a storage bag (I love these) and you don’t have to worry about them sticking together too much.
They’ll last for a couple of weeks in the fridge, but several months in the freezer if stored in a tight container.
If you make this recipe, be sure to leave a comment and review below. It helps others learn about the recipe too!
- 1 1/2 cups rolled oats (gluten-free if needed)
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 TBS chia seeds
- 1/2 cup dried cherries, chopped
- 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips (dairy-free if needed)
- 2/3 cup creamy natural nut or seed butter (I used homemade)
- 1/3 cup raw honey or brown rice syrup
- In a large bowl combine oats, cinnamon, chia seeds, chopped dried cherries and mini chocolate chips.
- Add in nut/seed butter and honey; use sturdy spatula or spoon to combine. You may need to work the mixture together with your hands to fully combine at the end.
- Place bowl in freezer for about 10 minutes (or fridge for 20 minutes). The cold mixture will make forming the energy balls a lot easier.
- Using a 1/2 round tablespoon, scoop mixture into rounded balls and roll between palms to shape. You should get roughly 24 rounded tablespoon size balls.
Store energy balls in airtight container in fridge about 2 weeks. Or freezer about 2-3 months.
- Serving Size: 1 ball
- Calories: 88
- Sugar: 7
- Sodium: 33
- Fat: 4
- Saturated Fat: 1
- Unsaturated Fat: 3
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 12
- Fiber: 1
- Protein: 2
- Cholesterol: 0