Never enough snack options, never enough energy balls…
So are you welcoming July with open arms like me? Or maybe not if it gets super hot and humid where you live and you’re not one for warm weather…
Either way I love July because it’s the peak of summer with lots of fun things planned. But I also know it’s going to go by SO quick which leaves me feeling not ready at the same time. We’re already a week in and one trip down. Next week I’m planning a half-day trip to Lake Michigan with a friend, and the weekend after that salmon fishing with Drew. Then the following weekend we leave for my family’s annual camping trip to Canada.
SO MANY TRIPS.
Which also means so many SNACKS.
Long car rides = an excuse to bust out all the snacks.
Energy balls are by far one of my most favorite snacks to make for traveling and road-tripping. They’re something you can easily make weeks ahead of time because they freeze well, and most of the time they don’t really need to be kept refrigerated so that is always a nice option too.
Oh and because it’s July and the Michigan Cherry Festival is wrapping up, I’ve got cherries on the brain.
Cherry Chocolate Chip Energy Balls
One can never have enough energy balls so I thought it wouldn’t hurt to bring you a classic flavor combo in energy ball form.
CHERRY CHOCOLATE CHIP.
The tartness from the cherries couple with the sweet honey and chocolate chips? Count me in.
What you need
- rolled oats
- chia seeds
- dried cherries
- mini chocolate chips
- natural nut or seed butter
- raw honey
Feel free to use sunbutter to keep nut free, and brown rice syrup instead of honey.
So we’re talking ingredients you likely have in your pantry and no food processor needed! This recipe can be mixed in one bowl and takes about 30 minutes to make once it’s all said and done.
The longest task here is rolling the balls, which I find to be quite therapeutic actually. Turn on some summer jams, get your scooper out (I use a round 1/2 tablespoon) and get to rolling.
Oh, and try not to eat all the dough in the process…
These Cherry Chocolate Chip Energy Balls require just seven ingredients, no food processor and one bowl. You can whip these up in no time and freeze them for weeks ahead. Perfect for road trips, snacking, and just all-around great to have on hand. No-bake, gluten-free and vegan-friendly.
- 1 1/2 cups gluten-free rolled oats (gluten-free if needed)
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 TBS chia seeds
- 1/2 cup dried cherries, chopped
- 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips (dairy-free if needed)
- 2/3 cup creamy natural nut or seed butter (I used homemade)
- 1/3 cup raw honey or brown rice syrup
- In a large bowl combine oats, cinnamon, chia seeds, chopped dried cherries and mini chocolate chips.
- Add in nut/seed butter and honey; use sturdy spatula or spoon to combine. You may need to work the mixture together with your hands to fully combine at the end.
- Place bowl in freezer for about 10 minutes (or fridge for 20 minutes). The cold mixture will make forming the energy balls a lot easier.
- Using a 1/2 round tablespoon, scoop mixture into rounded balls and roll between palms to shape. You should get roughly 24 rounded tablespoon size balls.
- Store energy balls in airtight container in fridge about 2 weeks. Or freezer about 2-3 months.
Keywords: road trip snacks, cherry chocolate chip, energy ball recipes