A healthy (lightened up) take on a cheesy chicken enchiladas recipe, made ridiculously easy by throwing it all in a cast iron skillet! Gluten-free friendly recipe using your favorite corn tortillas and red enchilada sauce.
If you’re looking for a super easy weeknight dinner, I’ve got you covered!
Mexican is always in rotation here at the FMK household, but I’ve recently just discovered this chicken enchilada skillet and it’s been a welcome change from our basic tacos or nachos night.
Not to mention, it can be ready in less than 15 minutes if using prepped shredded chicken breast.
Cheesy Chicken Enchilada Skillet Recipe
Now that I’ve eaten chicken enchiladas in a skillet, I am not sure there is a need to make them any other way!
It’s just too easy – basically you’re combining everything in a bowl, topping with cheese and broiling.
It’s super quick and you don’t need a lot of ingredients either…
Just 10 Ingredients
- chopped yellow onion & minced garlic – a staple in Mexican dishes
- cumin and coriander – never enough spices!
- red enchilada sauce – it’s super easy to make your own (I use this recipe – gluten free flour can be used) but Siete Foods makes a great one too! Which is actually what I used here – it’s delicious!
- Greek yogurt or sour cream – if using yogurt, make sure it’s 2% or full-fat so you don’t get the tartness that often comes with 0%.
- shredded chicken – use rotisserie for a lot of flavor, or use chicken breasts seasoned with chili, cumin, salt and pepper; cooked then shredded. If meal prepping the chicken, use my slow cooker method!
- corn tortillas – making this recipe gluten free friendly! If you’re looking for a grain-free tortilla, try these.
- black beans – you could also omit and add another veggie here if you’d like.
- cheddar cheese – wouldn’t be called a “cheesy chicken enchilada skillet” without it.
Make Skillet Enchiladas in 4 Easy Steps
Cook the Onions
Over medium high heat, add oil to cast iron skillet – add onion, garlic, cumin and coriander; cook about 4-5 minutes then transfer to bowl and remove skillet from heat.
Combine All Ingredients
In that bowl, add ¼ cup water, enchilada sauce, sour cream – stir until combined then fold in chicken, black beans and corn tortillas until coated.
Transfer to Skillet
Transfer chicken mixture back to skillet, top with cheese and heat through on stove for about 4-5 minutes.
Then place skillet in oven using broiler set at 400ºF, until cheese is melted.
Serve with more sour cream, avocado and cilantro (if you’d like) and dig in!
I have a feeling this is one of those super easy dishes you’re going to make on repeat.
These cheesy chicken enchiladas are great on their own, on top of salad, served with rice and beans and makes for great leftovers too.
Let me know if you make this recipe by leaving a comment and rating below! It helps others learn more about the recipe too! Xx AshleyPrint
Easy Cheesy Chicken Enchilada Skillet
Easy chicken enchiladas made in a skillet! This recipe is super simple and can be ready in less than 30 minutes! A great weeknight dinner that is gluten-free friendly too.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 6-8 1x
- Category: Entree
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Mexican Inspired
- Diet: Gluten Free
- ½ tablespoon cooking oil
- ½ medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp ground coriander
- ¼ cup water
- 2 cups red enchilada sauce
- ⅓ cup Greek yogurt or sour cream
- About 3 cups shredded chicken breast (rotisserie or cook your own)
- 4 corn tortillas, cut into strips or quarters
- 1 (15 ounce) can low sodium black beans, drained/rinsed
- 1 cup sharp cheddar shreds
- Add oil to 10” medium cast iron skillet – add onion, garlic, cumin and coriander; cook about 4-5 minutes then transfer to bowl and remove skillet from heat.
- In that bowl, add ¼ cup water, enchilada sauce, sour cream – stir until combined then fold in chicken, beans and tortillas until coated.
- Transfer mixture back to skillet, top with cheese and heat through on stove for about 4-5 minutes. Then place skillet in oven using broiler set at 400ºF, and melt cheese (about 5 minutes).
- Serve with more sour cream, avocado and cilantro if desired and dig in!
If you don’t have a cast iron skillet, simply cook the onions and garlic in whatever skillet you have, then you can combine everything and place in a casserole dish for broiling.
Store leftovers in covered container; best enjoyed within 3 days.
Keywords: Chicken Enchilada, Healthy Mexican, Enchilada Skillet
Save this recipe for later & pin it.
This recipe was originally posted over on Instagram in partnership with Tillamook, but this post is not sponsored by them. They have amazing cheese though, and highly recommend!