Super Quick Almond Butter Brownies ready in 20 minutes! Made dairy-free friendly, gluten-free, paleo-friendly and vegan-friendly! Basically the ultimate easy brownie recipe. Make them in a regular square batch or in mini muffin pan!
ALMOND BUTTER BROWNIES.
Are you over almond butter? Never.
Are you over brownies? Dumb question.
I feel like almond butter brownies were really popular for awhile and I am not sure why they ever went away. Or maybe they never went away and I am just making shit up.
Well let me tell you a little story…
The other month when I was visiting my Canadian bestie at her new place I was in the mood to do some baking. We had hit up a grocery store mid-morning (Farm Boy!) and I said “I might want to bake some brownies later so I think I need to get some things…” Some things being a bar of dark chocolate and a jar of almond butter. For whatever reason I was set on making almond butter brownies. They had to happen.
In the afternoon we went to the town’s first annual beer fest – I’ll spare you the details but let’s just say overall it was a good time.
So we get home and I was definitely in the mood for some (happy buzzed) baking. I kind of just made these brownies up on the fly and was surprised at how good they turned out. I knew they needed a home on the blog but couldn’t *actually* remember the recipe… “Happy Buzzed Baking Ashley” doesn’t write down recipe instructions, apparently.
Since then I’ve had to make them a couple more times to get the recipe right. Obviously not complaining thought because chocolate, duh.
Almond Butter Brownies
Also there is no such thing as too many brownie recipes just like there is no such thing as too many cookies. There are SO many ways to make a recipe and obviously I would’t be here if that weren’t the case.
So thank the lawd for never-ending brownie recipes and almond butter brownies too.
what you need
- creamy almond butter
- sugar (coconut or brown)
- chocolate chips
- eggs (or flaxseed meal)
- unsweetened cocoa powder
- gluten-free flour blend, whole wheat white or almond flour
- baking soda
- almond butter: You can sub cashew butter or sunbutter here (or a blend) just make sure it’s creamy and on the drippier side.
- oil: You can use coconut, avocado, sunflower oil etc. And likely sub applesauce, banana puree or even sweet potato puree but I haven’t tested myself.
- flour: I used an all-purpose gluten-free blend but you can also sub whole wheat white. If looking for a paleo-friendly option, almond meal is great here. You can also use cashew meal. I did not test coconut flour.
- to make vegan: feel free to sub eggs with flaxseed “egg” – 2 TBS flaxseed meal + 6 TBS water; let sit for 5 minutes.
- the batter: The batter starts to get pretty thick and fudgy after adding the eggs into the mix. When it comes time to add the dry ingredients just go slow – it will come together and should look like picture above. THICK AND FUDGY.
- mini fudge bites vs square baking pan: The first time I tested these in a 8×8 pan at 350ºF and they took about 12 minutes. The middle will seem underdone but will set upon cooling. They’re fudgy and delicious. And I was surprised they didn’t need much baking time! Then I went for mini brownie bites, because why not? These took 9 minutes at 325ºF – super quick!
No matter how you make these almond butter brownies they’re quite simple and really worth the 20 minutes it basically takes to mix, bake and eat them… Okay, not ALL of them – depending on the crowd.
Super Quick Almond Butter Brownies ready in 20 minutes! Made dairy-free friendly, gluten-free, paleo-friendly and vegan tested. Make them in a regular square batch or in mini muffin pan!
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips or 3oz dark chocolate, chopped
- 3/4 cup creamy almond butter1 (drippy is best)
- 1/4 cup oil (such as avocado, sunflower, etc.)
- 2/3 cup coconut sugar2
- 2 large eggs3 (see notes for vegan)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup + 1 TBS 1:1 gluten-free flour all-purpose flour or whole wheat white flour4 (see notes for paleo)
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- If making brownie bites, preheat oven to 325ºF and spray 24 mini muffin pan. If making square brownies, preheat oven to 350ºF and spray or line 8×8 square baking pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In small saucepan over low-medium heat, melt chocolate chips stirring continuously until smooth. Remove from heat; set aside.
- In large bowl using electric mixer, cream together almond butter and oil. Add sugar, mixing until smooth for about 1-2 minutes, then add in melted chocolate mixing again until smooth.
- Add in eggs one at a time, then vanilla. Mix on medium speed until eggs are thoroughly combined – mixture will start to get thick and a little sticky here.
- Add in unsweetened cocoa powder, flour, baking soda and salt. Use large sturdy spatula to combine before using electric mixer on medium speed. Make sure to go slow or dry ingredients will end up everywhere.
- Transfer batter into prepared baking pan – about 1 heaping tablespoon of batter per mini muffin cup. OR press evenly into corners of square pan.
- For mini muffin pan bake brownies for 8-9 minutes – tops will puff up slightly. For square baking pan bake brownies for 10-12 minutes, until edges have risen. Middle may look underdone but will set upon cooling.
- Allow mini brownies to cool in pan about 5 minutes before gently removing – I use a toothpick. Let square pan cool for at least 15 minutes, if not longer. Enjoy!
1 can sub another nut or seed butter – I recommend cashew or even tahini.
2 feel free to sub another granulated sweetener. Also tested with 1/2 cup coconut sugar if you’d like less sugar
3 to make vegan: mix 2 tablespoons flaxseed + 5 TBS water; let sit for 4-5 minutes before adding into batter
4 to make paleo: sub the whole grain flour for 3/4 cup almond or cashew flour. Did not test with coconut flour.
Keywords: brownie bites, quick brownies, healthy brownie recipes
SOME OF THE PRODUCTS I USED IN TODAY’S RECIPE
This post contains some affiliate links. Should you choose to purchase through said links, I will receive a small commission. Thank you for your support in helping keep Fit Mitten Kitchen up and running.