CHICKEN SALAD! The classic go-to for wraps, croissants, sandwiches and more.
If I am being completely honest I don’t love the typical chicken salad recipe – mainly because MAYO. Eek. I am just not a big fan of mayo. Nothing against eggs and oil and whatnot but I’ve just never enjoyed the taste that much… Unless it’s being disguised as aioli and/or mixed with other super flavorful ingredients that dissolve any idea of mayo being present whatsoever. Anyone else know what I mean?
But I still love the IDEA of chicken salad and I love changing things up… so I made you
Healthy Cherry Chicken Salad
A fun twist on the classic recipe, using dried cherries instead of grapes/raisins, throwing some pecans in there and mixing it all up with some seasoning and YOGURT. I actually used a 1.5% milkfat Skyr but you can use a 2% Greek yogurt as well. I personally wouldn’t do a 0% here because I think the fat helps add more creaminess and keeps it from being too tart. But up to you!
what you need
- cubed cooked chicken breast
- dried cherries
- diced celery
- chopped pecans
- skyr or Greek yogurt
- onion powder
- garlic powder
- salt & pepper
- bread, wraps, salad greens, etc. for serving
How to make the chicken salad:
For the chicken I poached (boiled in water) about 1.5lbs organic chicken breast until the internal temperature reached 165ºF. Then I cut it into chunks after it cooled.
While the chicken was boiling you can dice the celery and chop the pecans.
Next is just throwing it all in together and serving it up on your choice of bread, wraps or even on a bed of salad greens. I opted to add avocado as well because why not?
Overall this is a great recipe that is:
- gluten-free as needed
- perfect for lunches and meal prep
I think you need this in your life!
Healthy Cherry Chicken Salad – the classic go-to for wraps, croissants, sandwiches and more. This recipe is made healthier using yogurt, dried cherries, celery, pecans and seasoning. Perfect for packed lunches, picnics, meal prep and more.
- 2 cups cooked chicken breast, cubed (about 1lb package)
- 1 cup plain 2% or full-fat skyr or Greek yogurt
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 salt & pepper, or to taste
- 1 cup diced celery (about 1 stalk)
- 3/4 cup dried cherries
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- for serving: wraps, lettuce cups, salad greens, sandwich bread, etc.
- Add chopped chicken, yogurt, and spices to bowl first. Then add diced celery, cherries, and chopped pecans. Using large rubber spatula or spoon, stir together until well combined.
- Distribue cherry chicken salad onto bread for sandwiches, wraps, into lettuce cups, on top of salad greens, and more.
- Store leftovers in covered container about 5 days.
- Category: lunch
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: healthy chicken salad, no mayo chicken salad, easy lunch