A new healthy spin on chicken salad using dried cherries, pecans and yogurt. An updated classic for wraps, croissants, sandwiches and more.
If I am being completely honest I don’t love the typical chicken salad recipe – mainly because MAYO. Eek. I am just not a big fan of mayo… Unless it’s being disguised as aioli and/or mixed with other super flavorful ingredients that dissolve any idea of mayo being present whatsoever.
Anyone else know what I mean?
But I still love the IDEA of chicken salad and I love changing things up.
Why You’ll Love This
If you’re looking for a healthy chicken salad you must try this recipe!
- Easy to make (and quick)
- Made healthier with greek yogurt instead of mayo
- Can be made gluten-free using your favorite bread, wrap, or lettuce wrap
- Makes for a great meal prep recipe for a healthy lunch
I think you need this in your life!
Healthy Chicken Salad Recipe
A fun twist on the classic recipe, using dried cherries instead of grapes/raisins, throwing some pecans in there and mixing it all up with some seasoning and YOGURT.
I actually used a 1.5% milkfat Skyr but you can use a 2% Greek yogurt as well. I personally wouldn’t do a 0% here because I think the fat helps add more creaminess and keeps it from being too tart. But up to you!
Ingredients You’ll Need
- cubed cooked chicken breast
- dried cherries
- diced celery
- chopped pecans
- skyr or Greek yogurt
- onion powder
- garlic powder
- salt & pepper
- bread, wraps, salad greens, etc. for serving
How to Make Chicken Salad
For the chicken I poached (boiled in water) about 1.5lbs organic chicken breast until the internal temperature reached 165ºF. Then cut it into chunks after it cooled.
While the chicken is boiling you dice the celery and chop the pecans.
Next is just throwing it all in together and serving it up on your choice of bread, wraps or even on a bed of salad greens.
I opted to add avocado as well because why not?
Ways to Enjoy
Chicken Salad Sandwich – Use your favorite gluten free bread or ciabatta bread if you’re looking for more of a restaurant style meal. Or even a pretzel bun!
Chicken Salad Wrap – Place chicken salad in a whole wheat tortilla, top with lettuce and your favorite toppings, carefully rollup, and slice wraps in half.
Chicken Salad Bowl – Add salad greens, chicken salad, avocados, and green onion to a bowl if you’re looking for a lighter meal.
Chicken Salad Lettuce Wrap – Serve chicken salad mixture and favorite toppings in lettuce wraps. Enjoy!
Chicken salad is the perfect go-to healthy meal prep recipes because it lasts almost a full week in the fridge. If you want to make it last longer you can prep it separately and mix together when you are ready to eat it.
This recipe keeps best refrigerated in an airtight container in the fridge and used within 5 days.
I hope you enjoy this chicken salad as much as we did!
Let me know if you make this recipe by leaving a comment and rating below! It helps others learn more about the recipe too! Xx, Ashley
- 2 cups cooked chicken breast, cubed (about 1lb package)
- 1 cup plain 2% or full-fat skyr or Greek yogurt
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 salt & pepper, or to taste
- 1 cup diced celery (about 1 stalk)
- 3/4 cup dried cherries
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- for serving: wraps, lettuce cups, salad greens, sandwich bread, etc.
- Add chopped chicken, yogurt, and spices to bowl first. Then add diced celery, cherries, and chopped pecans. Using large rubber spatula or spoon, stir together until well combined.
- Distribue cherry chicken salad onto bread for sandwiches, wraps, into lettuce cups, on top of salad greens, and more.
- Store leftovers in covered container about 5 days.
- Serving Size: 1/6th
- Calories: 194
- Sugar: 14
- Sodium: 224
- Fat: 4
- Saturated Fat: 1
- Unsaturated Fat: 0
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 18
- Fiber: 1
- Protein: 22
- Cholesterol: 47