- 1 1/4 cups whole wheat white flour or whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/4 cup vanilla protein powder* (I used this)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tsp cardamom
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1/4 cloves
- 1/8 tsp all spice
- Preheat oven to 375F and line standard muffin tin, or grease with coconut oil, or use silicone muffin pan.
- In a medium bowl whisk together flour, protein powder, baking powder, salt, and spices; set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together pumpkin puree, coconut sugar, oil and egg. Gently stir in milk and vanilla until combined.
- Add flour mixture to large bowl of wet ingredients; gently stir until almost combined, then shredded zucchini and stir until batter comes together. Batter should be somewhat thick. (Try not to over-mix or texture of muffins may come out rubbery)
- Fill 9 muffin cavities almost to the very top. (I use my cookie scoop to make things easier.)
- Bake muffins for 15-20 minutes, or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. (I checked mine at 15, and they were done at 20). Allow muffins to cool in pan for 5 minutes before transferring to wire rack to cool completely.
- Muffins best enjoyed within 3 days and will keep longer stored in fridge.
*If you don’t want to use protein powder, use another 1/4 cup of white whole wheat flour. (You may also use regular all purpose flour. If you use regular whole wheat flour, your muffins may be a little dense) You could also use 1.5 tsp of pumpkin spice in place of the ginger, nutmeg, allspice and cloves. If you don’t care for cardamom, leave out and add more cinnamon, ginger and/or nutmeg. Increase sugar to 1/2 cup if you prefer a sweeter muffin. Use a dry sweetener of choice. When working with coconut oil, it is a good idea to make sure the rest of your ingredients are at room temperature to ensure even mixing, and so coconut oil does not solidify.
- Serving Size: 1 muffin
- Calories: 288
- Sugar: 9
- Sodium: 319
- Fat: 9
- Saturated Fat: 5
- Unsaturated Fat: 1
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 47
- Fiber: 10
- Protein: 9
- Cholesterol: 21