- 1 and 3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour (see notes)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg (optional)
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 3 TBSP brown sugar or coconut sugar (optional)
- 1/3 cup oil (avocado, sunflower, melted & cooled coconut)
- 1 large egg OR flaxseed egg (see notes)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded zucchini (not super packed, about 1 medium)
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1/4 cup milk of choice
- Preheat oven to 350ºF and line 12 muffin cups with liners or spray pan with oil; set aside.
- In medium bowl, mix together dry ingredients and set aside.
- In large bowl, whisk together maple syrup, sugar (if using), oil, egg (or flaxseed egg) and vanilla until well combined.
- Add dry ingredients to large bowl of wet ingredients and gently stir a couple of times. Carefully add in milk, fold in shredded zucchini and blueberries until just combined. (Be careful not to over stir or you’ll end up with tough muffins.)
- Evenly distribute muffin batter into the 12 lined muffin cups, filling almost to the top. Bake for 20-25 minutes at 350ºF. Check muffins at 20 minutes with inserted toothpick for wet batter.
- Allow muffins to cool in pan for 5 minutes before removing and placing on wire rack to cool completely.
FLOUR – You can also use half whole wheat, half all purpose flour. OR all whole wheat white flour. If wanting to make gluten-free, be sure to use a 1:1 Gluten Free Baking Flour (I like Bob’s).
SWEETENER – Honey may also be used but muffins will brown a bit more. I do not recommend subbing a dry sweetener in as it will affect liquid ratios. If you have more of a sweet tooth, I’d recommend adding up to 1/4 cup brown sugar or coconut sugar.
TO MAKE VEGAN – Replacing the 1 large egg with 1 TBSP flaxseed meal + 3 TBSP of water is a good egg-free substitute. Mix the flaxseed meal with water and let sit for 5 minutes before adding to batter.
GLUTEN-FREE – I did not test this with a gluten free flour AND flaxseed combo, so texture may be off.