- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar*
- 1 large egg (or flaxseed egg)**
- 3/4 cup non-dairy milk (or milk of choice) + 1 TBS apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups whole wheat white flour***
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 TBS pumpkin pie spice**** (or 2 tsp ground cinnamon if you want less “spicy”)
- 1 1/2 cups frozen or fresh raspberries
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- Preheat oven to 425ºF. Line a 12 cup muffin pan with liners, or grease pan with oil *****
- In a measuring cup add 3/4 cup of milk +1 TBS of apple cider vinegar, set aside for about 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl add canned pumpkin, maple syrup, and coconut sugar. Whisk until evenly combined then add egg (or flaxseed “egg”) and vanilla. Whisk until evenly combined. Pour in milk and gently stir to combine.
- Add in whole wheat white flour, and sprinkle in baking powder, baking soda, salt, and pumpkin pie spice evenly over ingredients in bowl (you can also combine all dry ingredients in separate bowl, then add to wet). Using large spatula, gently combine until all dry ingredients are almost incorporated, then fold in raspberries gently. Batter will be somewhat thick. Avoid over-mixing the batter or you’ll end up with tough muffins!
- Evenly distribute batter into prepared muffin pan, filling 3/4 full (I use my cookie scoop, and it’s about 1.5 scoops). Bake muffins at 425F for 5 minutes, then reduce oven temperature to 350F and continue baking for an additional 12-15 minutes, or until inserted toothpick in center of muffin comes out clean. Allow muffins to cool in pan for 10-15 minutes before gently removing. TIP: if greasing pan, I use a butter knife to remove from pan. Transfer to wire rack and allow muffins to cool completely before storing. Muffins are best enjoyed within 3 days, but can be wrapped and frozen for 1-2 months.
*Granulated sugar or brown sugar may be subbed **To make vegan friendly, use 1 TBS milled flaxseed + 3 TBS water and let sit for 5 minutes. I tested the recipe first using this way and it worked out just fine 🙂 ***All whole wheat pastry flour, OR half whole wheat/half all-purpose may be subbed ****To make your own pumpkin pie spice for this recipe use: 2 tsp cinnamon + 1/4 tsp nutmeg + 1/4 tsp ground ginger + 1/8 tsp all spice + 1/8 tsp cloves ***** The first time I made these I used liners but the muffins had a hard time coming out. They were better after two days. If you don’t mind using some oil to grease the pan, I HIGHLY recommend that route! TO MAKE MINI MUFFINS: Grease or line pan and fill cups full. Bake at 350F for 10-15 minutes, tops will rise over. Insert toothpick in middle, toothpick should come out clean when done. Approx. nutrition info based on regular-sized (12) muffins
- Serving Size: 1/12th
- Calories: 133
- Sugar: 11
- Sodium: 198mg
- Fat: 1
- Saturated Fat: 0
- Unsaturated Fat: 0
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 25
- Fiber: 2
- Protein: 3
- Cholesterol: 16