- 1 cup whole wheat white flour (or whole wheat pastry)
- 3/4 cup oat flour
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 1/2 TBS poppy seeds
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- zest of 3 medium lemons
- 1/4 cup room temperature non-dairy milk (oat, cashew, coconut, etc.)
- 1/3 cup of freshly squeezed lemon juice, approximately 3 small lemons
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, melted & cooled (or avocado)
- 1/4 tsp pure almond extract (or vanilla)
- Preheat oven to 375ºF and line muffin pan with liners or grease with oil; set aside.
- In a glass measuring cup add lemon juice and milk together, set aside.
- In a medium bowl stir together both of the flours, poppy seeds, baking powder, baking soda, salt and lemon zest. Set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together oil, sugar and egg; slowly stir in lemon-milk until combined.
- Add dry ingredients to bowl of wet ingredients, slowly stirring until just combined (don’t overmix).
- Evenly disperse batter into greased muffin pan, filling about 3/4 way full.
- Bake muffins for 15-20 minutes, checking muffins at 15 minutes with inserted toothpick. Allow muffins to cool in pan for 5 minutes before transferring to wire rack.
- Store muffins in container at room temperature – best enjoyed within 3-4 days.
FLOUR: You can also use unbleached all-purpose flour. I would add 2 more tablespoons if going this route.
*When using melted coconut oil, it is always a good idea to use the rest of the ingredients at room temperature, as to make sure the coconut oil does not solidify. Just set out your egg and milk about 30 minutes before prepping the rest of the ingredients.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 204
- Sugar: 12
- Sodium: 238
- Fat: 6
- Saturated Fat: 4
- Unsaturated Fat: 2
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 32
- Fiber: 1
- Protein: 3
- Cholesterol: 16mg