- 1 3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour *
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger or 1 tsp ginger paste
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk (I used cashew)
- 2 large eggs (or 2 flaxseed eggs**)
- 2 TBS oil***
- 2 TBS molasses
- 2 TBS dry sweetener of choice (brown sugar, coconut, etc.)
- pure maple syrup, butter, ghee, coconut butter, etc. for toppings
- Prepare waffle maker by preheating and greasing – spray works best.
- In a large bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, spices and salt.
- Gently pour in milk, eggs, oil, molasses and dry sweetener; whisk together until batter is smooth.
- Scoop about 1/3 cup of batter into preheated and greased waffle maker, and allow waffle to fully cook until lightly golden. I waited until I heard sizzling, which was bout 4-5 minutes. Each waffle iron is different, so be sure to follow your waffle manufacturer’s instructions. Also note 1/3 cup of batter should yield about 8 waffles.
- Gently remove waffles and transfer to warm oven before serving. Enjoy with your favorite toppings!
**To make vegan use 2 TBS flaxseed + 6 TBS water and let sit for 5 minutes. You could also try using 1/3 cup applesauce, but I haven’t tested that myself.
**I used avocado but melted and cooled coconut oil is fine.
- Serving Size: 1/8th
- Calories: 155
- Sugar: 7g
- Sodium: 248
- Fat: 6g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Unsaturated Fat: 4g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 23g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 4g
- Cholesterol: 47mg