- 1 3/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour* (see notes)
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas, equal to 3 medium bananas
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar** or coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups packed zucchini, equal to about 1 medium-large zucchini (liquid squeezed out)
- Preheat oven to 350ºF and line 9×5 loaf pan with parchment paper; set aside.
- In medium bowl add flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and spices; whisk until combined.
- In large bowl combine mashed banana with brown sugar; whisk in oil then add egg and vanilla extract, stirring until combined.
- Add half the dry ingredients to the large bowl of wet ingredients, using spatula to gently combine. Add in shredded zucchini and the rest of the dry ingredients, stirring until just combined – be careful not to over-stir or you’ll end up with a tough bread.
- Pour batter into prepared loaf pan and bake for 55-60 minutes, or until edges are slightly golden and inserted toothpick comes out clean. If it looks like the bread is browning quickly, add foil over top of pan at 40 minutes.
- Allow bread to cool in pan about 30 minutes before removing and slicing.
*Whole wheat white flour may be subbed, your bread just may be a touch more dense. You can also do 1 cup whole wheat flour and 3/4 cup all-purpose. Or sub 1:1 gluten-free baking flour (like Bob’s).
Bread is best enjoyed within a few days. I also like to keep this banana zucchini bread in the fridge so it keeps longer (especially in the summertime).
- Serving Size: 1/12th
- Calories: 169
- Sugar: 16
- Sodium: 214
- Fat: 5
- Saturated Fat: 1
- Unsaturated Fat: 4
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 29
- Fiber: 2
- Protein: 3
- Cholesterol: 16