- 2 large eggs
- 2 TBSP oil
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup milk (I used cashew)
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat white flour (whole wheat pastry or 1:1 gluten-free all-purpose baking flour)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup packed shredded apples, about 1 medium apple (or chopped)
warm cinnamon apple topping
- 1 medium apple, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 TBSP coconut oil, butter or ghee
- Preheat waffle iron and grease if needed.
- In a large bowl whisk together eggs, oil and applesauce. Add in vanilla and milk, gently whisking to combine.
- Add in flour, baking powder, cinnamon, salt and apples; combine with spatula until no lumps are present. Depending on your flour blend you may need a touch more milk here OR a tiny bit more flour. Batter should be somewhat thick but not drippy.
- Use 1/4 cup to pour batter into waffle iron; cook on low-medium heat for 3-4 minutes or until waffles are lightly golden. Every waffle iron is different so cook according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- Keep in warm oven (about 160ºF) until ready to serve.
- To make the apple topping: in medium skillet over medium heat, sauté sliced apples with cinnamon and oil or ghee; stir occasionally for about 5 minutes or until soft. Add to warm waffles and serve immediately.
- Waffles freeze great and reheat lovely in toaster.
- Category: breakfast
- Method: waffle iron
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: whole grain waffles, apple cinnamon, dairy free waffles