- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 medium carrots, diced (equal to 1 cup)
- 2 sticks celery, diced (equal to 1 cup)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 (14 ounce) canned cannellini beans (divided), drained and rinsed
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- sea salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 bunch curly kale, about 4 cups chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice (or vinegar)
- 2 Tbsp flat leaf parsley leaves, minced
- cream of 1 (14 ounce) canned full-fat coconut milk, liquid discarded (see notes)
1. Gather all of your ingredients – dice vegetables, mince garlic, chop kale and mash one can of beans, while keeping the other can whole.
2. Over medium heat in a medium-large dutch oven or heavy-bottomed pot, add oil, onions, carrots, celery, minced garlic cloves and spices. Stir frequently for 5-8 minutes, cooking until carrots and celery are slightly soft.
3. Add broth, whole white beans and mashed white beans, plus salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer for 5 minutes, then stir in the coconut cream, lemon juice, kale and parsley.
4. Continue cooking soup for another 5 minutes, until kale is wilted.
5. Serve immediately and enjoy!
Coconut cream – I like to use just the coconut cream, and saving the liquid for smoothies. Make sure you do not shake the can prior to removing the cream with a large spoon. If not worried about this recipe being dairy-free, you can sub about 3/4 cup half & half.