My Vegan Blueberry Scones are crisp on the edges, soft in the middle and bursting with juicy blueberries. Made with whole grain flour, coconut oil, and only lightly sweetened with coconut sugar for a healthier breakfast treat.
- 2 cups whole wheat white flour or whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar (or dry sweetener of choice)
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 salt
- 6 TBSP frozen coconut oil*
- 3/4 cup canned coconut milk + 2 TBSP* (lite or full-fat both work)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- coarse or turbinado sugar for sprinkling (optional but adds to texture)
- Preheat oven to 400ºF and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl add flour, sugar, baking powder, & salt. Whisk until well combined and set aside.
- Grate frozen coconut oil into large bowl of dry ingredients. Using dough blender, work coconut oil into flour mixture until a grainy, meal texture forms. You can also use a food processor to pulse in frozen coconut oil.
- Gently stir in the coconut milk and vanilla extract to bowl of dry ingredients, careful not to over-work the dough. (Be sure to remove S-blade if using food processor). Before all the flour is mixed in, gently fold in blueberries. The dough should be thick and slightly sticky, but not too wet. Add a sprinkle of flour if dough seems too wet.
- With floured hands, shape dough into large circle, about 8″ in diameter, on prepared baking sheet. Use a large sharp knife to make 8 triangle slices into dough. Gently separate the triangles and space out 2″ apart on baking sheet. Sprinkle with coarse sugar for a crunchy texture if desired.
- Bake for 18-25 minutes. If dough still seems soft, continue baking for another few minutes until tops are lightly golden. Let scones cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to wire rack to cool completely.
- Scones will stay fresh in airtight container up to 3 days. You can also double wrap scones and store in freezer up to 1 month. Thaw at room temperature or in microwave.
TO FREEZE COCONUT OIL: *Measure out 6 TBS coconut oil and transfer to small bowl, place in freezer for at least one hour before grating. You can also use dairy-free butter or conventional butter if not dairy-free. Whichever fat you use, it must be frozen.
*I have made these scones using non-dairy milk from a carton and there is a slight difference in texture. I definitely prefer using canned coconut milk for a richer texture, but both will ultimately work. My vegan scones recipes are adapted from my Whole Wheat Coconut Scones, which originally calls for 1 egg. If not worried about keeping vegan or egg-free, you can also go this route and use only ⅔ cup coconut milk.
Nutrition information approximate – calculated with lite canned coconut milk. Fat content will be lower if using carton non-dairy milk.
- Category: breakfast
- Method: oven
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1/8
- Calories: 248
- Sugar: 8g
- Fat: 13g
- Saturated Fat: 10g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 27g
- Fiber: 4g
- Protein: 4g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: blueberry scones, how to make vegan scones, coconut oil scones