- 4 cups sweet potato, cut about 1″ cubes (about 2 large potatoes)
- 1 cup chopped onion (about 1 medium)
- 1/2 TBS minced garlic
- 14 oz canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 14 oz canned pumpkin
- 14 oz canned crushed tomatoes (not drained)
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 2 TBS chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp salt (or to taste)
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon
- tortilla chips
- cheese or sour cream, if not vegan
- Prepare and cut sweet potato and onion. Add into crock pot, then add your garlic, rinsed black beans, pumpkin, crushed tomatoes (including juice), and vegetable stock.
- Add in all of your seasonings, with salt to taste (add more salt if you prefer) and stir until ingredients are evenly distributed.
- Cook on high for 4 hours, or low for 6-8 hours.
- Recipe serves about 8 small-medium bowls, or 6 large bowls. Top with avocado, cilantro, cheese and/or sour cream (if not vegan).
- Chili will keep in fridge up to 5 days, or store in airtight container in freezer up to 3 months.
This recipe is very adaptable, so play around with add-ins and spices to your liking. I’ve used bell peppers, replaced the sweet potatoes with squash, and have also made with quinoa before.
Nutrition based on 8 servings, about two heaping spoonfuls with large serving spoon.
- Serving Size: 1 medium bowl
- Calories: 164
- Sugar: 5g
- Sodium: 645mg
- Fat: 2g
- Saturated Fat: 0
- Unsaturated Fat: 1
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 34g
- Fiber: 8g
- Protein: 6g
- Cholesterol: 0mg