The most flavorful Vegan Pumpkin Scones thanks to loads of spices and a cinnamon orange glaze! These are an absolute must.
for the scones:
- 2 cups whole wheat white flour*
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar (or dry sweetener of choice)
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground all spice
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/3 cup coconut oil**, frozen & grated
- 3/4 cup canned pumpkin (pure pumpkin puree)
- 1/3 cup canned coconut milk*** (lite or full-fat both work)
- 1 tsp almond or vanilla extract
for the glaze:
- 2/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- zest of medium orange
- 1 TBS fresh orange juice
- Preheat oven to 350F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl add canned pumpkin, coconut milk and extract. Stir until combined, set aside.
- In a large bowl add flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, & spices. Stir until well combined. If not using homemade spice blend, use about 2 tsp of pumpkin pie spice.
- Grate frozen coconut oil into large bowl of dry ingredients. Using dough blender, work coconut oil into flour mixture until a grainy, meal texture forms.
- Gently stir in the pumpkin mixture to large bowl of dry ingredients, careful not to over work the dough. The dough should be thick and slightly sticky. (If your dough seems dry, add 1-2 more TBS of milk.)
- Shape dough into large circle, about 8″ in diameter, on prepared baking sheet. Using a large, sharp knife, make 8 triangle slices into dough. Bake dough for 15-17 minutes, then remove from oven to re-cut slices and pull apart triangles slightly. Bake for another 3-5 minutes, until edges and tops are lightly browned.
- Let scones cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to wire rack to cool completely. While scones are cooling, make your glaze: combine sugar, cinnamon, zest, and 1 TBS of orange juice in medium bowl. Stir together until ingredients are thoroughly mixed and no clumps of powdered sugar present. If you want a thinner glaze, add another tablespoon of orange juice. If you want thicker, add a few more tablespoons of powdered sugar. Glaze scones in zigzag pattern and allow to set.
- Now, enjoy!
**May sub with butter if not vegan
***Canned coconut milk yields the best texture, however any milk will ultimately work.
Scones are best enjoyed same day but will stay fresh in airtight container up to 3 days.
You can also double wrap un-glazed scones with plastic wrap and store in freezer up to 1 month. Thaw at room temperature or in microwave.
Nutrition approximate and based on 8 scones, including glaze.
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: oven
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1/8
- Calories: 265
- Sugar: 18g
- Fat: 11g
- Saturated Fat: 9g
- Carbohydrates: 38g
- Fiber: 4g
- Protein: 4g
Keywords: pumpkin scones, vegan scones, pumpkin pastries