For the crust:
- 1 box Simple Mills Artisan Bread Mix
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted and cooled
- 3 TBS maple syrup
For the filling:
- 1 cup pecans
- 1/2 cup non-dairy milk (I used cashew but almond or coconut works too)
- 2 TBS coconut oil
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 TBS molasses (optional but adds a rich flavor)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 TBS flaxseed meal
- Preheat oven to 325ºF and line a 8×8 baking pan with parchment paper; set aside.
- Make the crust: In a medium bowl, combine Simple Mills Artisan Bread Mix with melted coconut oil and maple syrup. Use spoon or fork until combined. Press evenly into lined pan, then poke some holes in dough with toothpick (see picture in post – this will help prevent the crust from bubbling up too much). Bake for 10 minutes, then remove from oven and allow to cool.
- Once the crust has baked, toast pecans at 325ºF for about 8 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside. Turn oven temp up to 350ºF.
- Make the filling: In a medium sauce pan combine milk, coconut oil, coconut sugar, maple syrup, molasses, vanilla and flaxseed meal. Whisk together and allow mixture to come to a simmer, stirring frequently for about 1 minute. Remove from heat and allow mixture to thicken, about 5 minutes.
- Add pecans into mixture until coated, then pour over cooled crust.
- Bake bars at 350ºF for 18-20 minutes, until filling has set. Allow pan to cool at room temperature before covering and transferring to fridge to chill for at least 4 hours, or overnight.
- Allow the pan to sit for about 30 minutes before using a large sharp knife to cut into 16 squares. Enjoy!
For super clean-cut edges, chill overnight and cut the next day while still a bit cold.
- Serving Size: 1/16th
- Calories: 202
- Sugar: 10g
- Sodium: 155mg
- Fat: 18g
- Saturated Fat: 7g
- Unsaturated Fat: 5g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 20g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 3g
- Cholesterol: 0mg