- 2 TBSP milled flaxseed + 1/3 cup water
- 2 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 3/4 cup flour (see notes)
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup light olive oil, avocado oil or melted/cooled coconut oil
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 TBSP vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup dairy free vegan friendly chocolate chips (I like to use a mix of sizes)
- In a small bowl, combine milled flaxseed with water. Let sit for about 5-7 minutes. Until the flaxseeds absorb the water and the consistency is gel-like. Set aside while it sits.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF and line cookie sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
- In a medium bowl combine oats, flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon; set aside.
- In a large bowl using stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment, or electric hand mixer, combine oil and brown sugar on medium-high speed until brown sugar is well mixed – about one full minute. Add in thickened flaxseed mixture and vanilla, mixing on medium-high speed until combined.
- Add in bowl of dry ingredients, mixing on low-medium speed until combined. Fold in chocolate chips. Dough should be somewhat thick, kind of sticky and a little oily even.
- Using medium cookie scoop (about 1 1/2 tablespoons), scoop dough onto parchment paper and flatten to about 1/2″ thickness. These cookies don’t spread a ton, so don’t skip this step unless you want super thick cookies.
- Bake cookies for 7-9 minutes, making sure not to over bake. Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for about 3 minute before transferring to wire rack to cool completely. TIP: I like to test 2-3 cookies first to see how they bake before baking an entire sheet.
FLOUR – You can use whole wheat white, whole wheat pastry, 1:1 gluten free baking flour or all-purpose flour here. If using regular whole wheat flour, you may want 1 less tablespoon.