No one will believe these Lemon Poppy Seed Scones are made vegan friendly! Crisp edges and soft middles, bursting with lemon flavor.
- 2/3 cup canned coconut milk* (lite or full-fat both work)
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 cups whole wheat white flour** (or half whole wheat, half all-purpose)
- 2 TBSP poppy seeds
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 2 ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- zest of 2 medium lemons
- 6 TBSP frozen coconut oil or butter***, grated
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp lemon extract, optional but boosts lemon flavor
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 TBS lemon juice (more or less depending on desired thickness)
- Preheat oven to 400ºF and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
- Combine milk and lemon juice in glass measuring cup or small bowl; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl–or bowl of food processor–add flour, sugar, poppy seeds, baking powder, salt and lemon zest. Whisk until well combined and set aside–pulse dry ingredients together if using food processor.
- Using the S blade of the food processor, pulse the frozen coconut oil or vegan butter with the dry ingredients until broken down into small chunks. Or use grated butter method and work into dry ingredients with pastry blender.
- Slowly add milk-lemon mixture until dough starts to form. The dough may seem dry, but continue working together with hands. If dough is sticky, use floured hands to shape for next step.
- Shape dough in 8″ square, cut into 4 equal squares, then cut each square again diagonally twice–shown like pan in picture, to yield 16 petite scones. To make larger scones, shape dough 8″ circle on prepared baking sheet. Using a large, sharp knife, make 8 triangle slices into dough. Fully separate dough and space about 2″ apart on baking sheet.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until edges and tops are lightly browned. Let scones cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to wire rack to cool completely.
- While the scones cool make the glaze: combine 1/2 cup powdered sugar with 2 TBS lemon juice and lemon zest, if desired. Stir until no lumps are present. With scones on lined baking sheet, or cooling rack with baking sheet placed underneath, zigzag glaze over scones with knife. Allow glaze to set, about five minutes, then enjoy!
*canned coconut milk will provide the richest texture, but this recipe also works with the non-dairy milk of your choice.
**whole wheat pastry flour may also be used. Or use 1/2 whole wheat, 1/2 unbleached all-purpose
***frozen coconut oil or frozen (vegan) butter is a must for the scones to bake properly. If not vegan, feel free to use conventional butter.
Scones are best served fresh, but will stay fresh up to 3 days in airtight container.
Recipe adapted from Whole Grain Vegan Lemon Scones
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: British- American
Keywords: vegan scones, lemon scones, scones with coconut oil