- 2 TBS flaxseed meal + 6 TBS water
- 3/4 cup non-dairy milk
- 1/4 cup unsweetend non-dairy creamer*
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup medium-grind cornmeal (or fine grind)
- 1 cup 1:1 all-purpose gluten-free flour blend**
- 1/4 cup cashew or almond meal***
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/3 cup + 1 TBS oil (avocado, grapeseed, melted/cooled coconut oil)
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Grease a 10″ skillet or 10″ round baking pan or 9×9 square baking pan; set aside.
- In a small bowl combine flaxseed with water and let sit for 5 minutes.
- In a glass measuring cup add milk, creamer (if using) and apple cider vinegar. Let sit for 3-5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl combine cornmeal, flour, cashew meal, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a medium bowl whisk together sugar, applesauce and oil until smooth. Stir in flaxseed mixture. Then gently pour in milk-vinegar mixture; whisk until smooth.
- Pour wet ingredients into large bowl of dry ingredients, using large spatula to gently combine. Batter should be somewhat thick and wet, but you should be able to pour it still.
- Pour batter into prepared baking dish. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until edges are lightly golden and inserted toothpick comes out with little to no batter.
- Allow cornbread to rest for 15 minutes before cutting into. Cornbread should be slightly moist, with a little bit of crumble. Cornbread is delicious with chili, and makes a great holiday side dish!
*Can use all non-dairy milk of choice, but adding a non-dairy half & half or unsweetened plain coffee creamer adds a richer texture **Can sub whole wheat white pastry flour, or all-purpose flour if not gluten-free ***Could probably leave out with no other adjustments if you need a nut-free version Check out my chili recipes here
- Serving Size: 1/8th
- Calories: 248
- Sugar: 15g
- Sodium: 346mg
- Fat: 12g
- Saturated Fat: 8g
- Unsaturated Fat: 3g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 32g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 3g
- Cholesterol: 0mg