- 1 1/2 TBS flaxseed meal + 1/4 cup water
- 2/3 cup coconut sugar (or brown)
- 1/3 cup creamy nut or seed butter (I used homemade cashew)
- 1/3 cup softened coconut oil
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup 1:1 gluten-free flour blend, or whole wheat white
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup mini dairy-free chocolate chips
- dairy-free chocolate chunks, for adding to tops of cookies (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Line baking sheet with parchment paper – I don’t recommend silicon mats when baking cookies with coconut oil.
- Combine flaxseed meal with water and let sit until gel consistency, about 5 minutes.
- In a medium bowl whisk together cocoa powder, flour, baking soda and salt; set aside.
- In a large bowl using electric mixer or paddle attachment of stand mixer, cream together sugar, oil and nut/seed butter until creamy. Coconut oil should be softened (not melted). See picture in post for what it should look like when done. This may take a minute or so.
- Add in flaxseed gel and vanilla; beat until smooth.
- Add in bowl of dry ingredients, mixing on low until combined. Dough should be moist and thick, but not sticky. You should be able to form a ball with your hands.
- Fold in chocolate chips using spatula.
- Using tablespoon, scoop dough into round shape. Roll cookie dough between hands until shaped, then place on baking sheet. Add chocolate chunks to top of cookie dough if desired. Gently flatten with palm of hand. Evenly space cookies about two inches apart. Bake for 6-8 minutes. Careful not to over-bake or cookies will dry out. I let mine bake for 7 minutes.
- Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to wire rack to cool completely. Enjoy!
Store cookies in airtight container at room temperature, or feel free to keep in fridge. They taste great cold too!
- Serving Size: 1 cookie
- Calories: 100
- Sugar: 10g
- Sodium: 118mg
- Fat: 4g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Unsaturated Fat: 2g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 15g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 2g
- Cholesterol: 0mg