These Vegan Brownie Swirls are a rich chocolate-y treat but made with ingredients you can feel good about! Plus paleo-friendly!
- 2 1/2 cups medjool dates (about 15oz), pitted
- 1 cup raw walnuts
- 1/2 cup raw almonds
- 1/2 cup raw hazlenuts
- 2 TBS cacao nibs (optional)
- 3/4 cup cacao powder (or unsweetened cocoa)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup natural almond butter (the drippy kind, like Woodstock)
- 1 TBS coconut sugar
- 2 TBS mini chocolate chips (I used Enjoy Life)
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- Line 8×8 pan with parchment paper, or use silicone sqaure pan, and set aside.
- Soak pitted dates in bowl of warm water for about 5 minutes.
- In food processor, add walnuts, almonds, and hazelnuts and process until finely ground.
Scrape down the sides of bowl with spatula, and add in cacao powder and cacao nibs, process until combined.
- Transfer nut mixture to large bowl and set aside.
- Drain water from bowl and add dates to food processor. Pulse until dates are broken down into fine chunks.
- Add in nut/cacao mixture and process until dough consistency forms. You may need to pulse and scrape down of the sides of the bowl in between.
- Add brownie mixture to prepared pan, pressing down firmly with hands until flat.
I suggest wetting your finger tips so mixture doesn’t stick while pressing into pan.
- In a small bowl, combine almond butter and coconut sugar. Whisk until sugar is dissolved.
Pour almond butter mixture on brownies and place in fridge for 30 minutes to set.
- Once almond butter has set slightly on top of brownies, make the chocolate topping by combining 2 TBS of mini chocolate chips with 1 tsp of coconut oil and melting in microwave safe bowl, about 15-20 seconds.
- Pour chocolate topping on brownies and let set in fridge for at least 1 hour, or overnight. You can also set in freezer for roughly 30 minutes.
- Remove brownies from pan and set on cutting board. Using a large sharp knife, cut away edges of brownies that are not straight. (roll these into balls to save for later, or snack on them like I did)
- Now that you have clean edges on all four sides of your brownies, cut away 1/2″ slices and roll brownie strips into themselves, creating a rosette/swirl. The chocolate coating may lift slightly, just push back into place.
Continue cutting away 1/2″ strips and rolling the brownie swirls. You should get about 20 brownie swirls.
- Store brownie swirls in airtight container in fridge, up to 10 days fresh. Or store in freezer for up to 2-3 months.
-Brownie base recipe adapted from here
-Feel free to use a mixture of your favorite nuts. Or all of one kind of nut. You will still need roughly 2 1/2 cups of whole nuts total.
-Brownies can be made to set in fridge overnight, up to two days covered. Then cut and make brownie swirls.
-Brownies can be stored in freezer for longer storage. Remove from freezer 30 minutes before serving.
-“Cook” time refers to fridge time and will depend of cooling (freezer vs fridge).
- Category: Dessert
- Serving Size: 1 Brownie
- Calories: 190
- Sugar: 17
- Fat: 10
- Carbohydrates: 23
- Fiber: 4
- Protein: 4