For the bowl
- 2 TBS coconut aminos (or tamari/soy sauce)
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 TBS rice vinegar
- 8oz package tempeh
- 1/2 cup uncooked freekeh (or quinoa, wild rice)
- 4 cups mixed greens
- 1/2 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup shredded purple cabbage
- 1 small sweet potato, chopped and roasted
- 1 small avocado, pitted, fleshed and chopped
Cashew curry sauce
Prepare the tempeh
- For the tempeh, I like to chop into cubes and let marinate in mixture of 2 TBS coconut aminos (or tamari/soy sauce), 1 tsp sesame oil, and 1 TBS rice vinegar for about 10 minutes. Cook tempeh in medium frying pan on medium heat for about 10 minutes, until golden and crispy.
Cook the freekeh (or choice of grain)
- While tempeh is marinating, start the freekeh by placing 1/2 cup freekeh and 1 1/2 cups of water in medium saucepan on medium-high heat. Bring mixture to a boil, then cover and simmer for about 20 minutes, until water has evaporated.
Make the curry sauce
- To make the sauce, add cashew butter, coconut milk, coconut aminos (or tamari/soy sauce), rice vinegar, and red curry paste in a small bowl and whisk vigorously until combined.
Assemble the Bowls
- In a medium serving bowl, add mixed greens, cooked tempeh and freekeh, layer in veggies, and top with curry sauce. This bowl is best eaten fresh, but leftovers will keep in fridge for a couple days.
Nutrition does not include cashew curry sauce
- Serving Size: 1 bowl
- Calories: 275
- Sugar: 4
- Fat: 10
- Carbohydrates: 40
- Fiber: 16
- Protein: 20