for the salad
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 1/2 cups chopped red cabbage (about 1/2 medium head)
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped into thin strips
- 1 cup edamame
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 6 green onions, cut into 1/4“
- 2/3 cup roasted cashews
- 1/4 cup cashew butter
- 1/2 TBSP red curry paste (see notes)
- 3 TBS coconut aminos (soy sauce or tamari)
- 2 TBS honey (or agave or maple syrup)
- 1 tsp rice vinegar (can sub apple cider vinegar)
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1” cube fresh ginger, grated
- juice of 1 lime
- 2–4 TBS non-dairy milk or water, plus more to thin as needed
- Rinse quinoa through fine mesh strainer and cook according to package instructions. (Notes on Instant Pot method below). Allow quinoa to cool in separate bowl; set aside.
- Meanwhile, chop all of the veggies and place in large bowl.
- Make the dressing: add all dressing ingredients to small blender or food processor; blend until smooth, adding milk or water to thin as needed. Dressing should be somewhat thick and creamy, but not thin.
- Combine quinoa with chopped veggies, add about half of the dressing, toss and continue adding more dressing as you stir and toss to combine. Serve immediately or chill in fridge.
Instant Pot Quinoa Method: Place 1 cup rinsed quinoa with 1 1/2 cups water in Instant Pot. Seal lid/vent, set pressure to HIGH; cook on MANUAL for 1 minute. Allow pressure to release for 10 minutes, unlock lid, fluff and transfer to heat-proof bowl.
To roast cashews: place raw cashews on baking sheet and drizzle with about 1/2 tablespoon olive oil. stir to coat. Bake at 325ºF for about 8-10 minutes, until lightly golden. Remove and allow to cool before adding to salad.
Thai red curry paste – if you don’t have this on hand, the dressing will still taste delicious without.
Make ahead: Salad can be made 1-2 days in advance. If serving a crowd, I recommend tossing with dressing prior to serving.