- 3/4 cup cooked quinoa (about 1/3 cup uncooked)
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, equal to 1 cup mashed
- 3 large cooked beets from Love Beets (about 8oz)
- 1 small onion, roughly chopped
- 2 TBS minced garlic
- 1 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt (or to taste)
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/3 cup quick oats
- high heat oil, for cooking (i.e. avocado)
Spicy Pumpkin Aioli:
- 1 TBS sriracha (or hot sauce)
- 3 TBS pumpkin puree (canned pumpkin)
- 3 TBS mayo (vegan or regular)
- buns, salad greens, avocado, red onion, etc.
Cook quinoa according to package instructions. Liquid ratio is usually 1:2 i.e. 1/3 cup uncooked quinoa boiled in 2/3 cup water. I recommend cooking more than necessary for this recipe and using leftovers for meal prep like quick salads and power bowls. Make sure quinoa has cooled before adding to sweet potato-beet mixture. You will need a blender or food processor to make this recipe.
- Scrub and rinse sweet potato. Using fork or sharp knife poke holes all over sweet potato; place in microwave on potato setting for half of the amount of time, or cook for about 90 seconds each side. Sweet potato should be slightly undercooked. You can also bake in oven at 400F for about 25 mintues. Remove skin from sweet potato, roughly chop and add to bottom of blender.
- Cut cooked beets into quarters; place in blender on top of sweet potato.
- Add roughly chopped onion, minced garlic and all spices into blender.
- Use pulse setting to combine ingredients, being careful not to over-blend or your mixture will be mush. You want to keep some texture. You may need to scrap down sides of blender a couple of times.
- Transfer sweet potato-beet mixture to bowl. Add in 3/4 cup cooked & cooled quinoa and 1/3 cup quick oats; use spatula to gently combine. I’d recommend taste-testing mixture here to make sure you enjoy spices and salt ratio.
- Transfer bowl to fridge; chill for at least 30 minutes, or even overnight.
- Scoop about 1/2 cup of burger mixture into hands and shape into thick patties, about 3/4″ thick. You should get roughly 6 burger patties.
- Heat large skillet over medium heat; add oil once hot. Carefully place burgers into skillet, being careful not to crowd the pan. Cook the patties for about 3-4 minutes on each side, until golden crust forms. Use large spatula to gently flip and cook for an additional 3 minutes or so on other side. Turn heat down to low-medium and allow patties to cook for another couple of minutes. Repeat this process with remaining patties if cooking in batches. Allow patties to rest for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile mix together sriracha/hot sauce, pumpkin puree and mayo together for the aioli sauce.
- Serve beet burgers with favorite buns, spicy pumpkin aioli, avocado, on top of salad greens, etc. Enjoy!
Store leftovers in container in fridge. Best reheated on stove top or toaster oven. Enjoy within 3-4 days.
- Serving Size: 1 burger without aioli
- Calories: 146
- Sugar: 4g
- Sodium: 202mg
- Fat: 3g
- Saturated Fat: 0g
- Unsaturated Fat: 2g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 27g
- Fiber: 4g
- Protein: 4g
- Cholesterol: 0mg