- 2/3 cup non-dairy milk
- 1/2 TBS apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour *(or 1:1 gluten-free all-purpose)
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup + 1 TBS oil (avocado, sunflower, or liquid coconut)
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 large egg**
- 3/4 cup mini chocolate chips
- coarse sugar for sprinkling tops
- Preheat oven to 425ºF. Grease 12 muffin cups or use silicone liners. Set aside.
- In a glass measuring cup add 2/3 cup of milk + ½ TBS of apple cider vinegar, set aside for about 5 minutes.
- In a medium bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together oil with maple syrup. Add in egg and vanilla and whisk until combined. Pour milk-vinegar mixture and gently stir.
- Add bowl of dry ingredients into large bowl of wet ingredients. Using large spatula gently combine until all dry ingredients are almost incorporated.
- Gently fold in chocolate chips, being careful not to over-mix. Batter will be somewhat thick. Avoid over-mixing the batter or you’ll end up with tough muffins.
- Evenly distribute batter into 12-cup muffin pan, filling 2/3 full (about ¼ cup of batter). Sprinkle on more mini chocolate chips if you’d like and top with pinches of coarse sugar.
- Bake muffins at 425ºF for 5 minutes, then reduce oven temperature to 375ºF and continue baking for an additional 10-15 minutes, or until inserted toothpick in center of muffin comes out clean. Allow muffins to cool in pan for about 10-15 minutes before gently removing. TIP: if greasing muffin pan, I use a butter knife to remove from pan. Transfer chocolate chip muffins to wire rack and allow to cool completely before storing. Muffins are best enjoyed fresh within 3 days. These muffins are a little bit more dense than traditional muffins so I’d suggest warming them up to help soften.
*FLOUR – Whole wheat white flour OR half all-purpose half whole wheat flour OR 1:1 gluten-free all-purpose flour will be fine. I did not test with grain-free flours.
*TO MAKE VEGAN – Sub egg with 1 TBS flaxseed meal + 3 TBS water; let mixture gel up for 5 minutes.
- Serving Size: 1 muffin
- Calories: 223
- Sugar: 14
- Sodium: 194
- Fat: 11
- Saturated Fat: 8
- Unsaturated Fat: 0
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 28
- Fiber: 3
- Protein: 4
- Cholesterol: 16