for the salad:
- 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 cup water or broth
- 1 TBS extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cups chopped kale, about 1 bunch
- 1lb brussels sprouts, shredded (about 4 cups)
- 5oz feta, crumbled
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
lemon dijon vinaigrette:
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (about 2 small lemons)
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 TBS apple cider vinegar or white wine vinegar
- 1 TBS dijon mustard
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 TBS honey
- salt & pepper, to taste
- Cook quinoa according to package instructions. Remove from heat and fluff with fork once finished cooking.
- While the quinoa is cooking prepare the kale by chopping into small leaves and and shredding the brussels sprouts using slicing attachment of your food processor.
- Place chopped kale in a large bowl and drizzle olive oil over leaves. Massage oil into kale using fingertips – this helps the flavor of the kale, just trust me.
- Add brussels sprouts into large bowl with kale; set aside.
- Make the dressing: in a medium bowl whisk together all of the ingredients.
- Drizzle dressing over brussels and kale. Add cooled quinoa, crumbled feta and sunflower seeds; toss gently with tongs until well mixed.
- Chill in fridge until ready to serve. Enjoy on its own or with your favorite protein. Store leftovers in covered container in fridge up to 1 week.
- Serving Size: 1/6th with dressing
- Calories: 253
- Sugar: 6g
- Sodium: 408mg
- Fat: 23g
- Saturated Fat: 6g
- Unsaturated Fat: 11g
- Trans Fat: 4g
- Carbohydrates: 21g
- Fiber: 4g
- Protein: 10g
- Cholesterol: 21mg