- 14oz canned black beans, low sodium, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups cooked quinoa
- 1/2 cup diced onions
- 1/2 TBSP minced garlic
- 3/4 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt, plus more to taste
- 1/4 tsp coriander
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1 large egg
- In large skillet over medium high heat add oil, diced onions and minced garlic to hot pan. Cook onions and garlic until fragrant, stirring occasionally for 4-5 minutes. Transfer to heat-safe bowl and place in fridge to cool.
- Meanwhile add drained/rinsed black beans to large bowl and mash with fork or potato masher. Add cooked quinoa, cooled onion-garlic mixture, spices, salt and egg. Stir or mash until well combined and place mixture in fridge to chill for 30 minutes (up to overnight) – this will help the burger patties hold together better while cooking.
- Using a 1/3 cup measuring cup, scoop burger mixture and shape with hands. You should get about 5 burger patties.
- In large skillet over medium heat, spray with oil if using cast iron pan, then place burger patties in pan without crowding. Cook for about 4 minutes on one side, or until golden before flipping and cooking for an additional 3-4 minutes. Transfer cooked patties to tray and allow to cool slightly for 5 minutes before assembling buns. This will also help set the burgers a little more.
- Assemble burgers with favorite toppings, buns or even as a salad topper.