- 14 ounce can black beans, low sodium, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup cooked quinoa
- 1/4 cup whole grain flour (gluten free, all-purpose, or whole wheat white)
- 1/2 cup diced onions
- 1/2 TBSP minced garlic
- 3/4 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt, plus more to taste
- 1/4 tsp coriander
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1 large egg
- In large skillet over medium high heat add oil, diced onions and minced garlic to hot pan. Cook onions and garlic until fragrant, stirring occasionally for 4-5 minutes. Transfer to heat-safe bowl and place in fridge to cool.
- Meanwhile add drained/rinsed black beans to large bowl and mash with fork or potato masher. Add cooked quinoa, cooled onion-garlic mixture, flour, spices, salt and egg. Stir or mash until well combined and place mixture in fridge to chill for 30 minutes (up to overnight) – this will help the burger patties hold together better while cooking.
- Using a 1/3 cup measuring cup, scoop burger mixture and shape with hands. You should get about 5 burger patties.
- In large skillet over medium heat, spray with oil if using cast iron pan, then place burger patties in pan without crowding. Cook for about 4 minutes on each side or until golden. Transfer cooked patties to tray and allow to cool slightly for 5 minutes before assembling buns. This will also help set the burgers a little more.
- Assemble burgers with favorite toppings, buns or even as a salad topper.
Nutrition calculated based on 5 burgers, without bun and toppings.
recipe slightly updated for better results while flipping burgers.
- Serving Size: 1 veggie burger
- Calories: 166
- Sugar: 2g
- Sodium: 351mg
- Fat: 2g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Unsaturated Fat: 2g
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 28g
- Fiber: 5g
- Protein: 9g
- Cholesterol: 37mg