This Purple Sweet Potato Pie is the perfect healthier pie recipe to wow your friends and family for any occasion. Made dairy-free, vegan-friendly and gluten-free friendly with your choice of crunch cookies for the crust.
Sweet Potato Pie Filling
- 1lb purple sweet potatoes, cut into 2″ rounds (you can leave skin on)
- 3/4 cup canned full-fat coconut milk
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup brown sugar or coconut sugar (see notes)
- 2 TBSP tapioca flour or cornstarch
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg (optional)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Make the cookie crust: Preheat oven to 350º and grease 9″ pie plate (not deep dish one, or use springform pan). In a food processor using S-blade, process cookies into very fine crumbs. Pour crumbs into bowl with melted butter; stir until well combined and press into bottom and sides of pie plate –pressing the crust in flat with the back of a measuring spoon helps. Bake for 10 minutes – be sure not to over-bake. Remove from oven and allow to crust to cool.
- While the crust is cooling, prepare the filling: Raise oven temperature to 400ºF. Bring a medium pot of water to a rolling boil; add chopped sweet potatoes and reduce heat to medium; boil for 10-15 minutes or until potatoes can be easily pierced with fork. Drain and rinse potatoes in cold water; remove the skins by gently peeling with fingertips. Place peeled sweet potatoes in blender or food processor with canned coconut milk, maple syrup, sugar (if using) tapioca flour, vanilla and spices; blend until smooth.
- Pour the filling into cooled pie crust and smooth top; bake for 15 minutes at 400ºF, then drop the oven temperature down to 350º and continue baking for another 30 minutes, until middle has set. Carefully remove from oven and allow pie to cool completely at room temperature; then chill in fridge for at least 2 hours before slicing and serving.
- Enjoy with your favorite whipped topping!
GRAIN-FREE CRUST OPTION: Use grain-free cookies such as Simple Mill snickerdoodle or pecan crunchy cookies.
I have not tried this with another milk, canned coconut milk is the best option here.
If looking to cut back on sugar, you can omit brown sugar. I preferred the version with brown sugar compared to the one I tested without.
Prep time includes chilling.
- Category: dessert
- Method: oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: vegan sweet potato pie, purple sweet potato recipes, dairy free pie