- 4 large organic portobello mushrooms, stems trimmed
- 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tbsp coconut aminos (or tamari, or soy sauce)
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 4 burger buns
- 4 slices steak tomatoes
- 4 slices red onion
- lettuce or greens or choice
- vegan mayo or other condiments
- Place mushrooms, tops up, in a shallow dish.
- In a small bowl whisk together balsamic vinegar, olive oil, spices, salt and pepper. Pour over mushrooms and use a pastry brush to make sure mushroom caps have been well seasoned. Flip over and brush marinade into mushroom gills. Let sit for 10 minutes before flipping over and marinating for another 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile prepare the rest of the ingredients for serving.
- After the mushrooms have marinated, add to a hot cast iron grill pan (or heated grill) and cook for about 5 minutes per side. If using a grill pan or outside, feel free to brush the mushrooms with leftover marinade. (If doing this in a traditional cast iron skillet, the mushrooms may get a little too soggy.)
- Add lettuce to buns, then mushroom, cheese slices if using, tomato slices, onion and top bun with mayo if you’d like. Serve immediately with favorite sides like steak fries, sweet potato fries, or I like this brussels quinoa salad.
Leftover grilled mushrooms will keep refrigerated for 2-3 days. Reheat in skillet over medium heat.