- 2 ripe pears, cored and thinly sliced
- 2 pomegranates, deseeded
- 2 large leaves curly kale, stems removed
- 5 ounces spinach
- 2/3 cup candied walnuts
- 1 cup cooked grains, optional (farro, freekeh, wheat berries, etc.)
orange poppy seed dressing
- 1/3 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- zest of 1 orange
- 3 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp stone ground mustard
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 TBSP agave, date syrup, or honey
- 2 tsp poppy seeds
- Prepare fruit: thinly slice pears and de seed pomegranates.
- Prepare salad greens: roughly chop kale and massage with oiled hands. Cut into smaller pieces if desired and mix with spinach greens.
- Assemble salad: Place greens and grains in bowl, then add pomegranate seeds and candied walnuts; toss together and sliced pears.
- Make the dressing: Whisk all salad ingredients in bowl or combine in small blender. Serve with salad or drizzle on about 1/4 cup and toss to lightly coat.
to make candied walnuts: turn oven to 325ºF and line rimmed baking sheet. Toss together 1 cup walnuts with 2 tbsp maple syrup, sprinkle with cinnamon and a little salt. Spread in even layer and cook for about 10-15 minutes, stirring every 3-4 minutes. Allow walnuts to cool on baking sheet before storing in container.
- Serving Size: 1/6th
- Calories: 241
- Sugar: 21
- Sodium: 143
- Fat: 10
- Saturated Fat: 1
- Unsaturated Fat: 6
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 37
- Fiber: 7
- Protein: 5
- Cholesterol: 1