Paleo Strawberry Shortcake that is actually pretty healthy! This is so unbelievably good, and simple too. Made with a coconut flour shortcake then topped with whipped coconut cream and strawberries, of course. Low carb dessert, gluten-free, dairy-free and refined-sugar free. It is a must make for the summer season!
for the shortcake
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1/4 cup coconut oil (avocado oil may also work), melted & cooled
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup maple syrup (agave or honey may be subbed)
- 1/2 cup non-dairy milk
for the topping
- 1 14oz can coconut cream, chilled at 6-8 hours (do NOT shake)
- 1 lb strawberries, quartered
- 1 TBS coconut sugar (optional, but makes strawberries extra juicy)
- Preheat oven to 350ºF, generously grease 9″ baking dish or skillet with oil and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, sift together coconut flour, baking powder, and salt. Stir together to make sure no clumps are present. Set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together eggs, coconut oil, vanilla extract, maple syrup, and milk. Add in bowl of dry ingredients and use large spatula or spoon to stir together until dry. Batter wet and slightly thick.
- Pour batter into greased dish and bake shortcake for 18-22 minutes, checking with toothpick in middle for crumbs. Edges should be slightly browned and cake completely set when done. Transfer shortcake to fridge and allow to cool for at least 20 minutes, or covered overnight.
- Toss quartered strawberries in medium bowl with 1 TBS coconut sugar and allow sugar to dissolve, about 5 minutes, set aside.
- When the shortcake is cooling, make your whipped cream layer: Carefully scoop out chilled cream into large bowl. (Discard liquid or save for smoothies.) Using hand mixer or stand mixer with whisk attachment, whip cream until light and fluffy for about 5 minutes. Using large spatula spread cream evenly over shortcake, and cover with juicy strawberries. Slice and enjoy!
Shortcake is best served fresh, but may be stored in fridge covered, 2-3 days. I opted for a cast-iron skillet, you can also use a 9″ pie dish, or cake pan. Just watch your baking time. prep time does not refer to chill time of coconut cream nutrition approximate and based on 10 servings
- Category: Dessert
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 piece
- Calories: 196
- Sugar: 8
- Fat: 15
- Saturated Fat: 12
- Carbohydrates: 12
- Fiber: 3
- Protein: 4
Keywords: gluten free strawberry shortcake, paleo dessert recipes, healthy strawberry shortcake