A Spicy Superfood Hot Chocolate perfect for winter months! Filled with superfood spices and adaptogen herbs. Paleo, vegan and a “no sugar added” option.
- 2 1/4 cups non-dairy milk (I used cashew)
- 1/4 cup cacao powder or unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1–2 TBS maple syrup, honey or 2 Medjool dates* (or date paste)
- 2 tsp maca powder or reishi powder**
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ginger
- 1/8 tsp turmeric
- pinch cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp ghee or coconut oil (optional)
- 2 servings collagen peptides
- Heat milk in medium saucepan over medium-high heat until simmering.
- Add in cacao or cocoa powder and sweetener of choice; whisk until smooth.
- Add in maca or reishi powder, cinnamon, ginger, turmeric and pinch of cayenne. Whisk continuously while mixture is simmering, about 2 minutes.
- Add in optional add-ins of ghee, coconut oil and/or collagen peptides. You can divide mixture here depending on personal preference.
- Pour spicy superfood hot chocolate into two mugs, enjoy!
*Use 2 Medjool dates per 2 servings if you’d like a Whole30 option. Pure maple syrup, honey, agave, coconut sugar or even a stevia sweetener would work depending on personal preference.
**You may leave out the adaptogens of you’d like but if you’re interested in adding them into your diet this is a fun way to enjoy them!
- Category: Drinks
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Vegan Paleo Spicy Superfood Hot Chocolate, hot chocolate recipe, healthy hot chocolate