Paleo Orange Lemon Poppy Seed Bread made with almond flour, sweetened with honey and topped with a coconut butter glaze. The perfect paleo friendly treat! Grain free, gluten free, dairy free.
- 2 cups blanched almond flour, weighed 180g (not meal)
- 1/3 cup tapioca flour
- 1 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 TBSP poppy seeds
- zest of 1 lemon
- zest of 1 orange
- 3 TBSP oil (such as olive or avocado)
- 2 TBSP freshly squeezed orange juice
- 2 TBSP freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp almond extract (optional)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 3 TBSP honey
- 2 TBSP maple syrup* (see notes)
- warm coconut butter**, about 2-3 TBSP
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- lemon and orange zest
- Preheat oven to 350ºF and line a 8×4 medium loaf pan with parchment paper; set aside.
- In medium bowl add almond flour, tapioca flour, baking soda, salt, poppy seeds, zest from lemon and orange; set aside.
- In large bowl whisk together eggs, oil, honey, maple syrup, lemon juice, orange juice and extracts. Pour dry ingredients into large bowl of wet ingredients, using spatula to stir. Pour batter into prepared loaf pan.
- Bake orange lemon poppy seed bread for 15 minutes uncovered, then add foil and continue baking for another 20-25 minutes. Be sure to check the bread after baking for 35 minutes total – the edges will get brown but the bread will be ready when inserted toothpick comes out with no wet batter. The middle may fall slightly, this is okay! The bread still tastes delicious.
- Allow bread to cool in pan for 15 minutes before lifting from the parchment paper to remove bread. Slice into 10 good-sized slices and ENJOY! You could totally get 12 pieces but they’ll be skinny and you’ll for sure want more than one.
*I used a mix of honey and maple syrup to add the right amount of sweetness and to prevent the loaf from browning too much. You can use all honey with similar results. I did not test using all maple syrup but I assume it would work. **You can omit the glaze or also use a regular powdered sugar glaze. Simply mix 1/4 cup powdered sugar with 1-2 tsp lemon juice for a light coconut-free glaze. Recipe adapted from my Paleo Lemon Blueberry Bread Nutrition info approximate based on ingredients listed.
- Category: dessert
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1/10
- Calories: 243
- Sugar: 10g
- Fat: 15g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Unsaturated Fat: 6g
- Carbohydrates: 21g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 9g
Keywords: paleo bread, lemon poppy seed bread, grain free quick bread