Paleo Carrot Cake Muffins bursting with spice, carrots and crunchy walnuts. Made with a blend of cashew flour (or almond!) and tapioca flour for a super soft grain-free/gluten-free muffin. Lower in sugar too!
- 2 cups cashew flour or blanched almond flour*
- 1/3 cup tapioca flour
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp all spice
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce (or 1 small banana, pureed**)
- 2 TBS coconut sugar*** (can omit; see notes)
- 3 TBS maple syrup
- 2 TBS oil (avocado, sunflower, macadamia, etc.)
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 400º F; spray muffin pan with oil and set aside.
- In large bowl sift cashew or almond flour (if possible) with tapioca flour. Whisk in baking soda, spices and salt. Set aside.
- In medium bowl whisk together eggs, applesauce (or banana puree) and coconut sugar (if using). Add in maple syrup, oil, apple cider vinegar and vanilla. Whisk until combined.
- Add wet ingredients into large bowl of dry ingredients. Stir until almost combined then add in shredded carrots and chopped walnuts. Batter will be somewhat thick and very wet.
- Evenly disperse batter (I use my medium cookie scoop) into greased muffin pan, filling about 2/3 full.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until inserted toothpick comes out clean. Muffins should rise slightly and have golden edges.
- Allow muffins to cool in pan for 10-15 minutes before using butter knife to gently remove. Transfer muffins to cooling rack to cool completely.
- Store muffins in airtight container at room temperature, 3-5 days. Enjoy!
*Tested with both cashew flour and blanched almond flour; either will work.
**If using banana, blending into a puree is best.
***Feel free to omit coconut sugar f you don’t have much of a sweet tooth. But the maple syrup factors into the liquid ratio so don’t omit that. You can sub agave or honey if needed
nutrition approximate; calculated with blanched almond flour and with added coconut sugar.
- Category: breakfast
- Method: oven
- Cuisine: american
- Serving Size: 1 muffin
- Calories: 200
- Sugar: 7g
- Fat: 14g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Unsaturated Fat: 5g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 13g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 6g
Keywords: paleo carrot cake muffins, healthy muffin recipe