Paleo Cacao Coffee Protein Bars made with dates, nuts, egg white protein, cacao powder, and espresso or instant coffee. Simple and quick, perfect for the morning or even a midday snack. Vegetarian, no added sugars, Whole30 compliant.
- 2 cups nuts (I used half almonds, half pecans, but cashews or walnuts would also work)
- 1 cup egg white protein powder
- 1/4 cup cacao powder (or unsweetened cocoa)
- 3 TBS instant coffee, or espresso powder (can adjust to taste)
- 18 large Medjool dates, pitted (10 ounces)
- 3–5 TBS water, as needed to blend
- 1/4 cup cacao nibs, optional
- Line a 8×8 pan with parchment paper or use square silicone pan; set aside.
- In the bowl of your food processor, process nuts, egg white protein, cacao powder and coffee powder until nuts have broken down into small pieces. Careful not to over-process, as the nuts will continue to break down in the next step.
- Add in pitted dates and process until combined–the mixture will look a little dry. With the motor running about 1 tablespoon of water at a time until mixture is sticky and everything comes together. Depending on if your dates were juicy or dry, you may need less or more water. I used 6 tablespoons.
- Once mixtures has come together and is sticky, remove S-blade and stir in cacao nibs if using.
- Transfer mixture to lined 8×8 pan. Use slightly wet hands to press evenly into pan. I use his fun little pastry roller to make it extra flat.
- Place pan in fridge for 1 hour, or freezer for 30 minutes before cutting into bars. Use large sharp knife and cutting board, cutting bars into 12 or 16 squares.
- Store bars in airtight container in fridge for about 2-3 weeks, or wrapped tightly in freezer for longer.
Bars can be enjoyed at room temperature but keep best in fridge. Store bars in covered container, with parchment paper in between layers.
Approximate nutrition – 1/12 bars: 216 calories, 12g fat, 26g carbs, 5g fiber, 17g sugar, 9g protein
*nutrition will change based on type of nuts used, this is a rough estimate.
- Category: snacks
- Method: food processor
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Paleo protien bars, coffee protein bars