for the cake
- 1 3/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour (see notes for other subs)
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup Bertolli® Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 cup canned pumpkin (pumpkin puree)
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar (or coconut sugar)
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350ºF and grease (or line with parchment paper) a quarter sheet pan or 9×13 baking pan; set aside.
- In medium bowl combine flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking powder, baking soda and salt; set aside.
- In large bowl combine Bertolli® Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil, maple syrup, brown sugar, canned pumpkin and vanilla using whisk or electric mixer on low speed. Add in eggs mixing on low speed until fully combined. Pour the dry ingredients into the bowl of wet ingredients and gently mix until just combined. Be careful not to overmix.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake for 18-22 minutes, or until inserted toothpick comes out clean. If cake starts to brown, cover with foil halfway through baking time.
- Allow cake to cool in pan on wire rack before frosting – at least one hour at room temperature or place in fridge for about 30 minutes.
- Make the frosting: Using electric mixer, beat together softened cream cheese until smooth. Add in greek yogurt and vanilla extract, beating more until combined. Add in spices and slowly add in powdered sugar, 1/2 cup at a time. Mix on medium speed until completely smooth.
- Frost cooled cake, spreading into corners. You can serve immediately or cover and place in fridge until ready to serve.
FLOUR – You can use half whole wheat flour, half all-purpose. OR all whole wheat white flour – cake may be a little more dense. A 1-to-1 all-purpose gluten-free baking flour will likely work here as well.
Cake can be made a day in advance. You can also frost ahead or day of. Chilled frosting will be a little less messy to cut.
Prep time includes cooling time.